What's new

Hints/tips for n/s headlight bulb change?

PaulE

Members
Reaction score
Car
2003 Tourer Exec
Afternoon, guys.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I need to change the bulb on the nearside headlight on my tourer.

Actually it works intermittently, I have to give it a bash and then it works, so it either needs reseating or replacing.

Access to that part of the car is really restricted because of the battery.

Thanks

Paul

that's the easy side :lol:

I just whipped the battery out when I last did mine.

A while back I had that same headlamp bulb blow repeatedly (my local parts supplier must have had a bad batch?). At least the first time you do it I strongly suggest you use a mirror of some sort and a torch to get a proper look at what you're doing (I can't imagine how I could have done it without), but I didn't remove the battery, which might give a better view? The large grey cover at the rear of the lamp ***embly unscrews about a quarter of a turn, then you can see the lamp connector... pull off the single connector... move the spring loop to release it... pull the H1 lamp straight backwards to remove. Fitting is reverse of removal. Offside is a little more effort as the washer bottle tube has to come off.

I found replacing the front sidelight bulbs tougher!

Dan is right. Take the battery out, I couldn`t do it at all with it in. Sidelights I found were a doddle if you go through the wheel arch

Take the battery out? Oh Joy. Do I have to do anything in preparation for that, or can I just disconnect and remove it and expect everything to be dandy when it goes back in?

Take the battery out? Oh Joy. Do I have to do anything in preparation for that, or can I just disconnect and remove it and expect everything to be dandy when it goes back in?
If you take the battery out just make sure all the doors are unlocked in case you need to get something out say in the boot.
Also there is no code on the radio so that's fine.The only thing is the sat nav will need to reboot its self and that it job done.

don't forget to NOT touch the glass of the bulb!

Dan is right. Take the battery out, I couldn`t do it at all with it in. Sidelights I found were a doddle if you go through the wheel arch

I think going through the wheel arch is actually the only way to change a sidelight bulb - the owners manual is very helpful. But the general muck over the fixings has to be cleared off so usually requires wheel removal and it does become a full-on dirty job. IMHO, changing a headlamp bulb (on either side) is a better, cleaner job even without battery removal (which does seem to affect my ecu for a few days until it 're-learns')

I done the sidelights on mine thismorning both in under 15 mins, simples and the car was dirty :lol:

I think going through the wheel arch is actually the only way to change a sidelight bulb - the owners manual is very helpful. But the general muck over the fixings has to be cleared off so usually requires wheel removal and it does become a full-on dirty job. IMHO, changing a headlamp bulb (on either side) is a better, cleaner job even without battery removal (which does seem to affect my ecu for a few days until it 're-learns')

That's not correct (it might depend if it's a pre- or facelifted 7th gen), I changed both sidelight bulbs from within the engine bay on my 2007 Tourer. It's tight but I managed it even with my big hands.

That's not correct (it might depend if it's a pre- or facelifted 7th gen), I changed both sidelight bulbs from within the engine bay on my 2007 Tourer. It's tight but I managed it even with my big hands.
Mine is 2003, so it's probably pre facelift?