What's new

Honda Accord 2003 2.0 petrol oil

Roberts14

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
My car seems to burn a little bit of oil and have to top it up every month because it shows its only on the bottom dot on the stick. Is this normal for this engine? I do have my moments of sticking my foot down could that be why?

Thanks

Can be normal enough I suppose, I sometimes have to top up, and then sometimes when I think oh feck, I haven't checked it in a while, I then check it and it's fine.

What sort of mileage is on the car and how many miles are you doing per month??

Oh okay the car has just done over 110000, and i dont do many miles to be honest possibly about 600 - 700 a month

I would say that the consumption is a little excessive, is there any signs of blue smoke from a cold start-up or anything? If your engine is a little tappety sounding, could be the valve adjustment needs doing, but I'm not certain if this contributes to more oil consumption. Valve stem oil seals and adjustments was certainly something that attributed to blue smoke in the older b series engines.

When i first start it up it smells abit like fuel sometimes quite bad but after its warmed up its fine, no blue smoke though not what ive seen anyway. Also is a little tappey but just sounds like the chain going round really its a very quiet engine

What oil do you use in it? Brand/viscosity? A change in brand or viscosity can reap rewards sometimes??

I havent got any oil for it yet as ive only had the car about 4 or 5 months but the guy said he had put 5w 30 genuine honda oil and he left me a litre with the car which ive used in that time. He said to me you should always ise honda oil for these engines what do you think?

Ok, I'm not sure about Honda UK, but in Ireland Honda doesn't sell 5w30 engine oil?? I'm using 10w-40 genuine stuff. I've tried the 0w20 stuff too with no real noticeable differences??

http://www.honda.ie/contentv3/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&pageID=22978&parentID=22908

You can use any oil brand, but I'd stick to better known brands, it's acea rating that you'd need to adhere to, which the lesser brands probably don't comply with....