What's new

Honda Accord pre facelift replacement

geoffdragon

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord 2.2 ex
Hi all, Heve recently sold my pre-facelift Accord EX Ctdi saloon.
Looking for a car to replace it and there seem to be problems with most makes.
BMW diesel swirl flaps, Audi A4 water ingress problems and excessive oil consumption on fsi engines, Lexus DPF problems. The list goes on.
I would like a diesel because the tax is cheap and fuel consumption is great.
DPF problems preclude many of these because I do a lot of short trips.
Petrol engine cars with any power are all high emission tax rates and I want a medium size car with reasonable spec and performance.
Now to the question I have for the forum.
Do the facelift Accords suffer any of the common faults of the earlier cars ?
Such as exhaust manifold cracks, driveshaft failure and electrical issues including battery drain ?
If I decide to go for a later Accord, I'd be looking for one of the last 7th gen ones with sensible mileage.
I guess for low tax it would have to be a diesel but wonder what tax bands the vtec's are ?
Any comments and suggestions welcome.
Thanks in advance,
Geoff

2.0 i-Vtec TAX is about £275. Power is 155bhp but feeling is for less comparing to 140bhp of i-CTDi because of torque difference.

2.4 is 295 a year, both petrols considered to be very reliable and probably better suited to your shorter journeys.
2.4 is quite torquey (for a Honda vtec petrol) and you'll be less likely to miss the low end shove of the diesel.

Just to add after reading your post again, late model 2.4's are quite rare although I think I spotted one on the bay of e the other day.

My 2008 Accord 2.2i CTDi (which i believe is the last year they made this model as the new model appeared on 58 plates) is £145 Road tax per year.

But i had the cracked manifold, which Honda replaced for free along with passenger side airbag done for free. Other than that, i had to do both Driveshafts and the seals went on those after a while ( I do a lot of Mileage by the way car is on 160K currently).

Just got the car remapped a few days ago by Fahad which has made a hell of a lot of difference, wish i did it sooner, engine feels brand new + power + economy!

If i were you, i would go for a 2007/8 Accord 2.2i CTDi should be able to pick one up with low mileage for around £3-4k. Then ask Fahad to remap to Stage 1 with EGR OFF :)

Hi again, having had a 6 month trip to the dark side - 320i BMW. Lovely to drive but doesn't feel anything like as well built and solid as the Accord.
So I'm looking again for an Accord. Did think of DTEC but DPF would cause me problems.
Going to keep an eye open for a late CDTI - hopefully a low mileage EX with full history.
I thought the issues had been sorted on the facelift but will keep an eye out for for manifold and driveshaft problems.
Fingers crossed can find one not too far away.
Regards, Geoff

There were a few minor mechanical improvements (timing chains and clutch/DMF) between early pre-facelift 7th gen diesels and later facelift models, but I can't see how those things would be worth the trouble and cost of 'upgrading' to.

Much as I love my non-DPF diesel, I'd be looking at an 8th gen petrol model as its logical replacement... no way on earth would I have a DPF diesel and, in any case, I can see diesels becoming practically impossible to resell in a few years time due to their current 'demonisation' and threats of additional congestion charges.

But good luck with your search!

The way I see it is that used diesels are gonna become cheaper to buy, and there are dpf off solutions out tgere too.

The 8th gen tourer's a beautiful looking wagon too, I just can't justify changing cars when i only drove mine 3 times a month these days.

I almost don't even need one at all.

Goodluckmonkey said:
The way I see it is that used diesels are gonna become cheaper to buy, and there are dpf off solutions out tgere too.

The 8th gen tourer's a beautiful looking wagon too, I just can't justify changing cars when i only drove mine 3 times a month these days.

I almost don't even need one at all.
Have you checked if it'd be cheaper to simply hire a car on those days? Or get a taxi? :p

I'm worried that disabling the DPF might be illegal? If so, then surely at some point the MoT test will have to introduce a check that a DPF is present and functional? But I agree that Diesel cars will get cheaper to buy, especially when you can no longer drive them into cities and other urban areas (or even on motorways?)! :ph34r: