What's new

Honda ATF

StuH

Members
Reaction score
Car
Superb Estate 3.6 V6
Had a small service today and included the ATF (Honda's own). The car is now 10 years old, done 80k and in fairness looks or drives nothing like that age. The gear change was getting a slight jerkiness but nothing I noticed to be particularly bad and still felt better than most autos I've driven or been in. I've not seen any sign of it being done in the SH so I'm presuming it's the orginal fluid. We dropped the fluid and it looked reasonable, certainly not as bad as some I've seen, there was no swarf in it at all. Wasn't really expecting much to be honest but you could have knocked me down with a feather after I took it for a drive. The difference is night and day, the changed are imperceivable, no feel of a change at all. Much recommended job to do.

Did you change the ATF filter while your at it?
Flushed mine and along with a new filer when I bought it at 60k , made a huge difference gear change are now super smooth and fast.
Will be doing the fluids every 2 yr from now on.

Was it Honda that did it or an independant? How much did you pay for this?

Mine has a very very slight judder/hesitancy going into 3rd sometimes and it's something I was thinking of doing.

Did you change the ATF filter while your at it?
Flushed mine and along with a new filer when I bought it at 60k , made a huge difference gear change are now super smooth and fast.
Will be doing the fluids every 2 yr from now on.

No I didn't but I'm planning on changing it again this time next year when it's done a couple of thousand more miles (yes I use it that little!) and I'll change the filter then.

Was it Honda that did it or an independant? How much did you pay for this?

Mine has a very very slight judder/hesitancy going into 3rd sometimes and it's something I was thinking of doing.

Mate's a mechanic who is now mobile so he came and did it yesterday along with a small service for £50. I got engine oil, filter and ATF from Holdcroft for £81. The job is simple but I've had a chest infection for two months so don't really feel like crawling under a car. The hardest thing really was getting the tray off, quite a few bolts and clips to work your way through. Once the fluid had been dropped he put a litre in and started the engine, manually selected reverse, neutral, drive etc a few times and then just kept topping it up with the engine running and selecting the gears. He took his time over this I've got to say and left the engine running a while. In total it took around 2.2l, HH sent me 3l so I have some left for a top up if needed or I'll just get 2l next time.

I concur chaps, changing the ATF & filter if applicable will seriously improve a lumpy or jerky transmission. Just posted a DIY Topic on this: http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/13529-atf-automatic-transmission-fluid-part-change/page__p__150645__fromsearch__1#entry150645

hi,
could you tell me the color of the new fluid? is pink or transparent like power steering fluid?

If it's pink in the vid then that's the stuff. It's got the consistency of water which is a bit strange.

Stuh I do not know, but you saw how he opened the bottle on spot and not before...that's the stuff, so you can see after 30-50k miles what color it has so you can make an image how the color should look like!

Stuh I do not know, but you saw how he opened the bottle on spot and not before...that's the stuff, so you can see after 30-50k miles what color it has so you can make an image how the color should look like!

Chris, the stuff after 30-50-70k miles will still be the same. Not as bright pink, but a duller pink. I've done plenty of them at this stage. I've fresh stuff here, if you need to see the colour.

ok,
my accord has covered 81.000 miles and the color of the fluid on the dip stick is clear and still has some pink but not so pink like new one...also the gearbox change effortless....and the fluid has never been changed from 2003 i think-90% .....so my question is: should I change it or to wait the color to get more brown or until the gearbox change more heavy?

The recommended change interval is 7 years or 75,000 miles - whichever comes first. The fluid is there as much to prevent problems as lubricate the box. For the minimal effort and low cost I would change it for peace if mind.

Not watched the vid but it's pink going in! The stuff that came out was a dark pink as said above. For the price Holdcroft so ATF for and considering how easy it is too do it's a no-brainer for me!

"Bump" Another Hard shifting 8th Gen Accord getting the HM treatment and this is the second part change in 11k, silky smooth changes since reported :D

100_2242_zpsf60c58e9.jpg

Always reset the AT Control unit "applies to the 6th Gen as well"

DIY how to: http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/13529-atf-automatic-transmission-fluid-part-change/page__p__150645__fromsearch__1#entry150645

Where abouts is the ATF filter? Mine was changed at 75k miles and itsn't due for another 25k but I have no idea if the filter was done, it's not mentioned on the paperwork so I ***ume not.

On top of the gearbox. It is item 4 on this:

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=ATM0700&block_03=2853

that filter is only on autos btw... :wub:

Aye, along with the magnetic drain bolt. Obviously on the MT if you're losing bits in the oil it's gonna hurt! :)