What's new

Hondata reflash ECU - clone ?

dinoc

Members
Reaction score
Car
2008 Accord Type-S
Just something that crossed my mind ...
a question for the guys involved in the remapping business, is it possible to clone a Hondata reflashed ECU (don't know the ECU code, yet).
The clone to be made on a new ECU 37820-RBB-A21 ?

what do you mean by clone? if your going to do it, do it properly and get the Hondata flash Pro from Hond-R

flashpro + ECU + new software > 1500 - 2000 $ - is not worth for 20 whp ?
clone a reflashed ECU - might cost nothing ... it was just an idea if is possible or not, as a friend of mine has a Hondata reflash ECU made unofficially for the Euro CL9, bought via CPL Racing - is running fine for more than 3 years , no CEL or others issues, it was adapted for our cars.
( I did want to buy an ECU like this, too but Hondata don't want to sell this anymore )

So I want to know if is possible for a remap company (which has the proper tools) to read a Hondata ECU and clone it to another one.

I doubt (can'tbe sure) if the maps are identical because the firmware in the ECU's are different.

So to clone a map from one make of ECU to another make of ECU (even same engine) I would think that a "translation" of the map is required, and I would think that a remapper will charge as much to translate a map as to do a complete remap on a dyno.

I'd bet odds of 50:50 on that basis

Yes maybe the 'clone' is not the right word.
I'm wondering if from an engineer (remap tuner) point of view , having the proper tools to read the ECU, if is possible to read the Hondata ECU and do a ''diff '' , comparing the map from Hondata ECU with a stock ECU and tell the differences ?
And then maybe apply the relevant differences to a stock ECU.

This is just my engineer point of view , I don't know what those tools are capable of , or if is possible to read both ECUs.

If my theory apply , the remap tuner can obtain a Hondata reflash map for free and use it later for more $ .

PS> If this a tabu subject feel free to delete this thread

^ it's an interesting thread though :D

It could still be quite a bit of work, because a map is like a lot of co-ordinates for a lot of curves. The co-ordinates are "interpolation" points, and I reckon that different firmware might interpolate the points differently.

As a crude example, suppose I said that there are two curves for water temperature.
One curve has freezing at 0, with boiling at 100
Another curve has freezing at 32, with boiling at 212

I might be wrong, but that's my penny-worth :lol:

I'm just thinking Hondata sold lots of reflashed ECUs for TSX-es. Their program was simple, you send your stock ECU to them and they send you back your ECU reflashed.
I pretty sure they used the same map for all those sold ECUs.

From my research is possible to use a reflashed Hondata ECU for our CL9, but you will get CEL in the dashboard, because the TSX has some extra sensors, which the Euro doesn''t.
At one point there was a guy from Netherlands having a Euro CL9, he took his Euro CL9 ECU to Hondata USA (on his trip to USA) and they reflashed it , removing all CEL errors.
I believe my friend's Hondata ECU is based on that reflash as he's got no CEL either.

Not sure, why you said I did answer my question ?

"At one point there was a guy from Netherlands having a Euro CL9, he took his Euro CL9 ECU to Hondata USA (on his trip to USA) and they reflashed it , removing all CEL errors." ....gave me the impression that it can be done ;)

oh , yes, it can be done by Hondata but I want to know if our local (European) tuners can do it ?
as Hondata don't care about anything else than USA market

yeah got that now, so your question is, if it can be done one way (Honda ECU to Hondata ECU) , then is it fair to ***ume the other way too ;)

more like Hondata ECU > stock ECU, see the differences and apply the relevant ones to the stock ECU to get something similar with the Hondata ECU
but I don't know what those remaping tools can read and see/compare etc .. it will be good if a tuner can chime in and explain a little bit what can be done

it would, but who would pay them ;)

one guy in russia are doing custom and standart reflash for almost 1.5 years ;)
For simple bolt ons reflash will be good, but there is some problems when you go with better engine mods. First you can't tune so well with custom reflash as you don't have proper log writing ability like FlashPro. It takes a lot of time to do proper custom ROM on Dyno. Second you won't have any logging with reflash.
Better pay more and get FlashPro with Acura TSX ECU later you can re-sale this if decide to go OEM. FlashPro 695 USD + TSX ECU 465 USD and I can map for 100 USD (N/A setup) remotely from logs.

Thanks for the offer mate, I'll contact you once I get all the parts.
Yes I thought more about this and I think I will go to the FlashPro route , hopefully it will fix my speedo, too as I have a 4.7 final drive (as the TSX has).

I want to do it in stages, first stage I just want the FlashPro tuning for headers and intake (I've just received the Weapon-R headers and Comptech Icebox).
My concern is how well will the WR headers work with stock exhaust, as the colector and test pipe are 2.5" ?
For me is a DD car and I really really want to keep the noise down to the minimum possible.

And later as a stage 2 (for me) to go for a 06 Intake cam + VTC gear, IM + TB, but again not sure how well will this work with a stock exhaust ?

Thanks for the offer mate, I'll contact you once I get all the parts.
Yes I thought more about this and I think I will go to the FlashPro route , hopefully it will fix my speedo, too as I have a 4.7 final drive (as the TSX has).

I want to do it in stages, first stage I just want the FlashPro tuning for headers and intake (I've just received the Weapon-R headers and Comptech Icebox).
My concern is how well will the WR headers work with stock exhaust, as the colector and test pipe are 2.5" ?
For me is a DD car and I really really want to keep the noise down to the minimum possible.

And later as a stage 2 (for me) to go for a 06 Intake cam + VTC gear, IM + TB, but again not sure how well will this work with a stock exhaust ?

all will be fine with stock exhaust if you want gains from it you must use 3 inch single and this will be loud ;)