What's new

How do 8th Gens handle mileage?

stonesfan

Members
Reaction score
Car
1999 Accord V6 Coupe
Looking at an EX GT Idtec that has 75k on but with full Honda Service History. Lovely car indeed. Educated guess would say 75k no problem on a car like this. Anyone else got a similar or higher mileage car? How do they handle putting the miles on the clock?

Was ideally looking at something with 50k on but the one above is relatively local and in a great spec.

Just clicked over 74k , bought with 52k on , no mechanical issues whatsoever , checked all front suspension bushes recently all fine , would say check for rear brake binding on these tho , and as i'm sure gets pointed out regularly correct servicing with 0/30 oil

rhinogolf said:
That's nothing m8 mines got 161k bought with 67k
rhinogolf said:
That's nothing m8 mines got 161k bought with 67k
interior still quiet and rattle free? The one thing that gets me is interior buzzes and rattles .

stonesfan said:
interior still quiet and rattle free? The one thing that gets me is interior buzzes and rattles .
I've had my 7th-gen 2.4 since January 2006, nothing buzzing or rattling in my car that I can hear above the sound of the rear bearings that is

Mine is a 2008 and up to 74k miles now. Its generally good. It was a motorway hack before I had it 60k miles in 4 years, so the front bumper and screen and quite chipped, so check for that. Also as an auto the discs and pads have had to be changed, front at the start of this year and the backs are almost ready to be changed.

One thing to consider with the diesels is that the DPF is a service item, so it will need changing at some point if it starts blocking a lot. I think I've read they don't get much beyond 100k miles, but ask Dave, he's a taxi driver so he should know. New DPF is about £1k.

Also you might be inheriting someones DPF problems, might be why they sold the car! They need to have been serviced on time with the proper 0w/30 low saps oil or the DPF might already by on the way out.

I wonder if its worth getting the fault codes read on a car you consider buying, to see if any DPF errors have been logged. Or have a word with t he dealer who serviced it, ask if any DPF problems have occurred?

Looks generally ok from the photos. Drivers seat bolster leather looks a bit worn and creased. That colour is lovely, but it looks like its seen plenty of car washes as its quite swirly, plenty of reflections from the sun, so maybe budget on a machine polish (around £200) if that sort of thing bothers you.

Do you realise that one has ADAS?

• LKAS - Lane Keeping ***ist System
  • ACC - Adaptive Cruise Control
  • CMBS - Collision Mitigation Braking System

Was a £2400 option from new.

Dealer doesn't seem to realise that, not in the advert, might be worth a bit more.

You can tell from the pics, camera on the front screen by the rear view mirror and the solid grille badge with the radar behind. Extra buttons on the steering wheel also.

Yep he did mention that that it has the ADAS system on the phone. To be honest Ive noticed a lot of the leather seats look shagged in the adverts yet on inspection they are okay. Might take a look at this one sat morning.

Dealer reckons FHSH so I would have though the right fluids have been used.

it has headlight wipers too and HIDs too, quite rare on the 8th gen. Cant believe you went from Saabs, Honda Legends and a load of other tasty petrol lumps to a 2.2 diesel however. I think the general consensus on this car is, its not very economical for a diesel, plus is has the extra baggage ***ociate with them.

To be fair Toffeepie the engine range on the 8th gen is hardly impressive in general.

The safe, reliable, readily available but lets say 'steady' 2 litre.

The more enterprising 2.4 which is very rare on the 8th gen but has been criticised as being a bit noisy in a number of road tests. And from what I've seen, all 2.4 models seem to come with a s/roof, even the earlier ones which I found without in 2 litre form.

The diesel which seems to polarise opinion. Some say no problems at all, others say problems which are common with other makes too. Upgradable via a remap though at least. And that dpf can fly..........

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201407075622089/sort/default/radius/1500/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/model/accord/usedcars/postcode/ha12rt/make/honda/transmission/automatic/keywords/ex%20gt/maximum-age/up_to_6_years_old/page/1?logcode=p

Another EX GT there in polished silver grey. Looks in great nick. Overpriced by around £750 though I'd say?? And thats with a 'cargiant' style warranty ie none! Costs about £400 extra I believe

Must say though, the GT models are damn good looking cars in my opinion. And thats half the battle won.

All EX GT come with xenons I'm on the lookout for one in black and auto but finding it very hard

stonesfan said:
That red is lovely IMO, thats a really good looking car, can see the appeal of getting a petrol over a diesel if your covering the majority of your miles in a city.

I think the dark silver isn't the most flattering of colors for the accord, the blue one is a good colour as well.

Cryistic said:
That red is lovely IMO, thats a really good looking car, can see the appeal of getting a petrol over a diesel if your covering the majority of your miles in a city.

I think the dark silver isn't the most flattering of colors for the accord, the blue one is a good colour as well.
Isn't diesel better in a city... seems that most taxis are diesel? But personally I would avoid a diesel with a DPF though.

Jon_G said:
Isn't diesel better in a city... seems that most taxis are diesel? But personally I would avoid a diesel with a DPF though.
A diesel without a DPF is fine in a city, when I inquired about an S-Type 2.7 V6 diesel I was told by the dealer that I wouldn't do enough miles to keep the particulate filer clean unless I drove it like I stole it everywhere, which would negate the small savings from running an oil burner over a petrol.

This is a few quid more than the Accord, are you sure you don't want one of these instead? ;)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201409177463975/sort/locasc/radius/1500/page/1/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/model/legend/make/honda/usedcars/postcode/nn84sa?logcode=p

The iDtec auto isnt that economical from what I read, seems to average mid 30's extra urban, 40's on the motorway. Not much of a fuel saving, but potentially big repair bills.

Have to say I'm not anti diesel. I actually quite like the driving characteristics of a reasonably powerful diesel engine. The appeal of the idtec is that it can very safely be mapped to 175hp+ Gonna give that blue ex gt a test drive tomorrow. Btw any views on the price of that silver grey ex gt I posted above? Red 2.4 has sunroof btw so no good for me.