What's new

How do you like to jack? Rails caving in?

jamie3141

Reaction score
I've jacked my accord up countless times now and the way I've jacked it up has changed depending on the situation. Recently, I've started jacking it up on the seal seems/pinch welds (a few inches right of B and left of C) so that there's enough room to fit my axle stands under points B and C. This part of the pinch weld is covered by plastic though. It doesn't crack, even when jacked up.
1639164119747.png

I used to jack it up on the box section/frame rails on the underside (not an Accord, but illustration stands):

tAoQFua.png

For a while now, this tube section has started indenting where my jack goes. I don't use wood, or rubber, but that would probably prevent it from happening. If there is enough pressure to dent the metal, I think there's a possibility the tube section could buckle.

Long ago, I used to jack it up on the front jacking point (A), but had a very bad experience where (due to the angle of the jacking point) and fairly slick surface, the car actually slipped off the jack. After that happened, it wasn't worth trying again, I really don't want my jack going through my oil pan or similar and causing damage. The rear jacking point is completely fine and usually works quite well. It is, however, slightly too high, so you do not get much lift without a sturdy block of wood between it and the jack. I think it should be possible to jack up directly at point B and C and leave the axle stands under where the control arm meets the body---though haven't tried.
1639164554705.png

Have any of you experienced that box section on the underside caving in?

Not really looking for generic info like "don't forget to leave a tire under the car" and "you should never jack up on uneven ground" and please don't come at me with "if you're unsure how to jack up a car, you shouldn't be doing it". Whenever I hear it, I just ***ume you have no mechanical experience and want to sound like you do on an online forum...

I use the jacking points normally, I use to put a tennis ball on top of the jack so as not to damage the paint. Bought a 3 tonne jack recently that has a rubber cover over the contact point.

I be not seen any distortion of the metal on the tourer under jacking, the diesel front end would be heavier than the petrol as well.

Has your car had owners near the coast ?

The answer would be to spread the load across a greater area, on other cars I have added a decent piece of pallet wood under the sill before jacking which distorts slightly to follow the shape of the sill.