What's new

how "free" should the front wheels turn?

john_d

Members
Reaction score
Car
Saab 9-5 Aero
so, put the wifes cold weather tyres on her car earlier, after i put them on i gave the wheel a spin and it was really stiff, it also sounded like it was in gear but i double checked and it was in "N" (autobox obviously).

i removed the wheels and both front caliper, removed the brake fluid resevior lid, and tried to push the caliper piston back in using my pushy-in-tool, both front calipers appear to be seized as they managed to bend my pushy-in-tool!

so, why does it sound like its in gear when its not?

and

whats the chances of both calipers being seized at the same time?

ps, the car is having its MOT as we speak so im guessing they would know if the calipers are seized?

failed on brakes and emissions

front brake imbalance 31%

carbon monoxide @ idle and 2nd fast idle excessive. :(

Sorry about the MOT fail.

I'm no expert in 6th gen autos, but caliper pistons shouldn't be too hard to push back in... difficult with bare hands, but usually easy with some sort of rod/big spanner/hammer shaft/etc as a lever (different matter on calipers with rotating pistons for the handbrake operation, btw!). I'd speculate that one seized first and you didn't notice, then the other one seized. I'm surprised you didn't notice the reduced braking efficiency, but obviously the MOT tester would. Brake imbalance does actually suggest that they are working to some extent, though.

i rarley drive the car so couldn't really tell, the wifes an all or nothing type of gall when it comes to the brakes :(

the pads could probably do with a change problem being though i cant get the piston in.

Not much point in fitting new pads to (partially?) seized calipers!!!

You'll need to find out what the problem is with the calipers... reconditioned replacements can usually be bought on an exchange basis for a reasonable cost. You also need to carefully check that the discs are OK as well... I wouldn't be surprised if they need replacing as well.

I strongly suggest that you use the search function of this site to find advice from members who have actually worked on 6th gen brakes, as I can only give general advice (having never worked on a 6th gen).

I have seen Bigg Red being recommended for the brake repair kits seals and pistons or you could ship them off for them to do (i haven't used them). Euro Car Parts also sell them at a discount if you take your old calipers in.

When my rear caliper seized, taking all things into consideration - a new caliper from Holdcroft delivered without having to return my old one was something like £105each. I think the fronts are around £150each then you can choose to sell on your old caliper for refurb on here or ebay if so choose too. Now folk might think this is an expensive way to go, but I didn't have the hassle of taking the car somewhere and paying for it, or taking the calipers off and paying for a refurb, or trying to refurb them myself and costing 'labour' and seal and piston kits.

Replacing a caliper is a relatively simple process, particularly the front compared to the rear with the handbrake mechanism to be considered too.

Don't know much about your high emissions.. Maybe replace sparks, airfilter and compression test the cylinders?