What's new

How low is too low?

JAB1a

Reaction score
Car
CL9 Type S
Hi All,

First post here and I hope people might be able to help me by sharing their experiences of lowering a Mk7 2.4ltr CL9 Type S.

I purchased the car many years ago and have had great fun with it. When I got the car it was very low...
IMG_20191105_162119.jpgIMG_20190220_142520.jpg

I live in a very rural area so having the car that low was not practical. About a year ago I raised the car by at least an inch all round and its now sitting at the right level so nothing scraps over bumps etc. When the car was at its lowest, the front drive shaft were basically pointing upward from the gear box up to the wheel hubs (rather than sitting level or pointing downwards like most cars I have seen). Raising the car has brought the drive shafts a lot more level but there is still an upward angle to them.

The issue I have is that last year I snapped a drive shaft on the passenger side (it had a manufacture defect from factory). I replaced that shaft with a new one. This year (just less than 12 months) the drivers side drive shaft is vibrating and needs replacing...while there I checked the passenger side drive shaft and that has also failed (within 12 months) which I can luckily get replaced under warranty. Both shafts have play on the end of the shaft that is nearest the gearbox (tripod bearing?).

My question is... have others who have lowered their Mk7's had any drive shaft issues due to the strange angle they sit at? I ask because its very strange both shafts have the same issue and that the passenger side has lasted less than a year after I had done what I thought would improve the situation (by raising the car up an inch).

Please let me know if I have not explained the issue well enough or you need more information.

Thank you for your time and help in advance

Hi All,

First post here and I hope people might be able to help me by sharing their experiences of lowering a Mk7 2.4ltr CL9 Type S.

I purchased the car many years ago and have had great fun with it. When I got the car it was very low...
View attachment 748View attachment 749

I live in a very rural area so having the car that low was not practical. About a year ago I raised the car by at least an inch all round and its now sitting at the right level so nothing scraps over bumps etc. When the car was at its lowest, the front drive shaft were basically pointing upward from the gear box up to the wheel hubs (rather than sitting level or pointing downwards like most cars I have seen). Raising the car has brought the drive shafts a lot more level but there is still an upward angle to them.

The issue I have is that last year I snapped a drive shaft on the passenger side (it had a manufacture defect from factory). I replaced that shaft with a new one. This year (just less than 12 months) the drivers side drive shaft is vibrating and needs replacing...while there I checked the passenger side drive shaft and that has also failed (within 12 months) which I can luckily get replaced under warranty. Both shafts have play on the end of the shaft that is nearest the gearbox (tripod bearing?).

My question is... have others who have lowered their Mk7's had any drive shaft issues due to the strange angle they sit at? I ask because its very strange both shafts have the same issue and that the passenger side has lasted less than a year after I had done what I thought would improve the situation (by raising the car up an inch).

Please let me know if I have not explained the issue well enough or you need more information.

Thank you for your time and help in advance

It was a long time back but I read on another forum that the premature wear from lowering is down to limited movement at full left and right lock.
You might find there is a point near, or at full lock where the grooves run out of space for the shaft to slide freely within the hub.
It would probably never happen at speed, my guess it might be when turning the wheel when moving off from parked, coupled with dropping off a kerb.

The solution would be to shorten the driveshafts, but check under the car first.

Thank you both for your replies.

Having a nightmare trying to find an Intermediate Shaft (Drivers side half shaft). Honda want £371+VAT, FEBEST make an OEM one but nearest I can find is in Lithuania. No where in the UK seem to stock that part with most places offering the part being in Germany.

Anyone know of a place I can check for an OEM half shaft?

I just bought a used one, I've put a post on here relating to this matter, a chap on that thread has just ordered a febest shaft, i guess we'll find out if its any good.