What's new

How much is it worth?

james2512

Members
Reaction score
Car
C220 AMG Sport Plus
Guys,

Been a while since I last posted, due to hectic amounts of work and the thought of swapping out the Accord.

I wanted to stay with Honda but the Accord saloon is getting to small on the boot space and the Auto Box is driving me insane lately with it random gear changes even when in M mode??

Anyway I thought I would visit my local dealer where the car was purchased from just 2 years ago and see what deals we could do on a Type S estate or maybe even the out going CRV...... This is where the looking at a New Honda abruptly stopped!

The dealer offered me £11,700 based on a px against a NEW car?? What is going on here? What really surprised me is that this dealer had to use the good old pricing book to establish a price for a car he has a dealership full of? Really what is that all about?

I thought Honda's held their value come re-sale and as a returning customer i expected a little better. On the upside the local Mercedes dealer not only went over the car with a fine tooth comb, they also offered me £1300 more on a part ex against a 9 month old C250 CDI estate fully loaded just like the Accord.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or a silly offer for their car? My car is at 41,000 mile FSH and in pristine condition in and out, even parkers puts a average price of £12,600 for the usual average condition.

At the price offered i think i will sit on the car until Jan 13 when i can treat myself following Christmas to a new motor, question is what next? Don't see it being a Honda.

Let me know your thoughts guys.

James I'm afraid it's still a buyers market at the min.
My 8th gen with the upgraded wheels would have been 28k from new.
I brought it with13k on the clock and 11 months old for 18k

James never buy a Honda if you think it won't depreciate. They are the worst for depreciation. So much to choose from which drives the price down.

Also the auto boxes have never been Honda's strong point.

Cheers Brett,

Luckily for me i bought this car with 6000 miles on and paid £20k for it so not to much loss for me.

I think what took me back is that this dealer had the same car but 6 month older outside and wanted 14,800 for it. Just expected a bit more........

Could be worse, it could have been a mondeo!

Shabz,

Ur spot on with the Auto box!! Ive been able to put up with it for 2 years but its now really letting the car down.

James i drove the new facelift auto derv and was very impressed but Shabz is correct Honda auto boxes have nether been the most reliable.
I just hope you get the best price for your car maybe a private sell might be worth a shout.

Got an auto prelude vti and even that I'm cautious about the gearbox. Regular oil changes is must mate.
Hope you get a good price for your accord. Might be worth selling it privately.

Wait an see how it gets on with its first MOT in November and see from there.

What is the service point for the auto box?

Guys,

Been a while since I last posted, due to hectic amounts of work and the thought of swapping out the Accord.

I wanted to stay with Honda but the Accord saloon is getting to small on the boot space and the Auto Box is driving me insane lately with it random gear changes even when in M mode??

Anyway I thought I would visit my local dealer where the car was purchased from just 2 years ago and see what deals we could do on a Type S estate or maybe even the out going CRV...... This is where the looking at a New Honda abruptly stopped!

The dealer offered me £11,700 based on a px against a NEW car?? What is going on here? What really surprised me is that this dealer had to use the good old pricing book to establish a price for a car he has a dealership full of? Really what is that all about?

I thought Honda's held their value come re-sale and as a returning customer i expected a little better. On the upside the local Mercedes dealer not only went over the car with a fine tooth comb, they also offered me £1300 more on a part ex against a 9 month old C250 CDI estate fully loaded just like the Accord.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or a silly offer for their car? My car is at 41,000 mile FSH and in pristine condition in and out, even parkers puts a average price of £12,600 for the usual average condition.

At the price offered i think i will sit on the car until Jan 13 when i can treat myself following Christmas to a new motor, question is what next? Don't see it being a Honda.

Let me know your thoughts guys.
sell it private mate ive been looking for a 8th gen tourer for 8 months finally got what i wanted on Tuesday and believe me they go on auto-trader you phone up they've been sold twice i have even agreed deal with the seller for dealer/garage to phone back and tell me they have sold it.If car like you describe you will get 13.5k easy and you will sell the car in 2weeks top

sell it private mate ive been looking for a 8th gen tourer for 8 months finally got what i wanted on Tuesday and believe me they go on auto-trader you phone up they've been sold twice i have even agreed deal with the seller for dealer/garage to phone back and tell me they have sold it.If car like you describe you will get 13.5k easy and you will sell the car in 2weeks top

Cheers Dave. May think about it, last time i sold a car on auto trader it got stolen by the persons viewing it...... bit of a nightmare sorting that one out. On the up side the insurance paid out more than i was asking!!

Luckily for me i bought this car with 6000 miles on and paid £20k for it so not to much loss for me.

You've "Lost" £7 or £8 THOUSAND pounds in depreciation and that's not much of a loss? I'd be cross. :eek:

I've been driving 25 years and I reckon my average yearly depreciation loss has been £400. Mind you I'd never spent more than £2k on a car until I bought the Accord for £4,600 (instead of a mondeo for £2K) .

I have purchased alot of cars for less that £1000 and sold them 2 or 3 year later for pretty much what I paid. :lol: To be fair, I have spent too much time fixing cars rather than driviing them :eek:

You've "Lost" £7 or £8 THOUSAND pounds in depreciation and that's not much of a loss? I'd be cross. :eek:

I've been driving 25 years and I reckon my average yearly depreciation loss has been £400. Mind you I'd never spent more than £2k on a car until I bought the Accord for £4,600 (instead of a mondeo for £2K) .

I have purchased alot of cars for less that £1000 and sold them 2 or 3 year later for pretty much what I paid. :lol: To be fair, I have spent too much time fixing cars rather than driviing them :eek:

Fair one! If i didnt use the Accord as an opt out to a company car i would be running something similar to you just to reduce my costs, but if i can balance my opt out funds and fuel/tax relief to cancel the depreciation then its not to bad. So far over the last few years its been ok to do this, but this Honda has dried up some of my funds. Taking out the depreciation the money loss on this car is in the servicing and fuel.

A sub reason for wanting to change the car is the looming MOT in November..... pretty sure the old girl needs 4 tyres, rear discs and possibly new front pads. This is on top of a due service which Honda want silly money for.

It'd be a better idea to sell privately, even the nicest of offers you get from P/Xing your car will still be a fair amount lower than what you can actually get for your car, were you to sell privately, it's safe to say you could demand anywhere from £12K-£14K and you'd still sell your car fairly quickly because the diesels are so desirable due to more power and better fuel economy than the 2.0