What's new

How much (on a *** packet) is my car worth

pauljdh

Members
Reaction score
Car
i-dtec auto tourer
I have a really nice 56 plate 2.2cdti sport tourer on 153K miles with excellent (Honda) SH, new discs and pads all round last Jan, tyres 5-6mm all round, ultra reliable and very nice. No dents, just minor scuffs here and there

In the real world, what do you reckon its worth?

Thinking of replacing it with something similar but 3-4 years newer and just wanted to get an idea of the cost to change.

thanks chaps

Thanks , wondered had anyone actually sold one recently? The guides re OK but overtime I mention them to the trade they dismiss them as "miles out". Been offered £2K against an £11K replacement at a dealer - bit miserly Im thinking?

IMO £2k is about right as a trade-in. They would then advertise it £3.5k and expect to get knocked down to £3k. The problem with selling it private is that a buyer does not have much come-back with a private seller (caveat emptor) so however good you know your car is, if you sell it privately, a buyer wants some headroom to fix it.

You could add an independent health report check from a garage, some places charge about £80 - £120 for a report, that way you can ask for more privately. Or check out how much the webuyany type firms will give you. If you can separate the deals, you still have the power over the dealer when buying, as cash is king.

pauljdh said:
Thanks , wondered had anyone actually sold one recently? The guides re OK but overtime I mention them to the trade they dismiss them as "miles out". Been offered £2K against an £11K replacement at a dealer - bit miserly Im thinking?
The dealer is always going to dismiss your valuations as part of his sales patter, to make his money he is trying to knock you down on the trade in whilst retaining margin on the car he is selling. Dealers love part exchanges as there is decent money to be made on them if they are bought at the right price! In terms of what a car is worth I would take any price provided by a dealer with a pinch of salt, they're likely to have gone in below what they'd actually pay.

FWIW I just ran the details through CAP based on the ***umption that it's a sport spec tourer with none of the upgrades that were available, their mileage adjusted valuation for a private sale is £1550-1700. I'd imagine the 1550 is based on 'CAP average' condition which is a car that has minor scratches and dents present in line with the age of the vehicle.

With that in mind it might be worth taking the 2k from the dealer and running!!

I think 2k is a good price.Some dealers advertise pre face lift diesels at ridiculous prices.Mines a 55 tourer and I wouldn't expect to get much more than £1500 for it.

GSD2013 said:
Oooops, hey, that's why I need the dog, LOL
I wouldn't leave the dog in charge!

enhanced-14836-1414320930-8.jpg