What's new

How to get the car on axle stands?

AcesHigh

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type V
The ***le says it all really - could someone please tell me how to best locate the axle stands to allow me to get the car completely in the air with all 4 wheels off?

For the life of me I don't know where to put them!

I've found a site that references a front & rear centre jack point and then put the axle stands under the sill jack points, but I thought the 6th gen only had the 4 jack points by the sills that is used by the scissor jack?

I've found a site that references a front & rear centre jack point and then put the axle stands under the sill jack points, but I thought the 6th gen only had the 4 jack points by the sills that is used by the scissor jack?

Yes, the 6th gen has that front & rear jack points should be used to lift the car, and then use the sill jack points to put the axle stands:

jackpoints.png

Is it better/safer to lift the front or rear first when putting on four axle stands? I want to change the transmission fluid at some point this year and need to buy another set of stands. I keeping fearing the car slipping off the first set as the other side gets lifted.

Andy

the best stands for oil(engine) change is couple of thick and wide wooden boards and a wooden decks.
I have the garage and have no pit in it. and it was the cheapest, quickest and best solution for such work. especially when living not in the city
example
standc.jpg

p.s. Just don't laugh :D it never failed me. car stands stable. like on the ground

the best stands for oil(engine) change is couple of thick and wide wooden boards and a wooden decks.
I have the garage and have no pit in it. and it was the cheapest, quickest and best solution for such work. especially when living not in the city
example
standc.jpg

p.s. Just don't laugh :D it never failed me. car stands stable. like on the ground

The problem with that, is that you need to have the car levelled, so you need to do that in all 4 wheels...

Also, when you start to "climb" the wooden decks or wooden boards, do they move forward?

Is it better/safer to lift the front or rear first when putting on four axle stands? I want to change the transmission fluid at some point this year and need to buy another set of stands. I keeping fearing the car slipping off the first set as the other side gets lifted.
Andy

Never done it. If you have good, solid, with a large base stands, I guess you are ok. But you could always put some wood blocks to in front/rear of the lifted wheels, to prevent it from slipping.

Also, If you use one of those jacks with wheels, I bet it's the jack will move a bit when lifting car, so you will have no problems with that.

The problem with that, is that you need to have the car levelled, so you need to do that in all 4 wheels...

Also, when you start to "climb" the wooden decks or wooden boards, do they move forward?

its not 100% the same as in picture. wooden decks are not very round so they are not moving. I'm using this "invention" :D just for draining oil from engine and filter changing. used it also for catalyst removal. and using only when I need lift only front of the car(boards will move if you will try go on them with rear axle first). for example. when I fill- oil to engine i'm taking car of this stand... anyway. It is simple but not universal car stand...

Jack the front first, use the handbrake as a fail safe while your jacking. The front only way (on your own anyway) to hold wheels in place is putting it in gear. Some wheel chocks are good, but can slip.

As for level oil change, not necessarily, depends where the drain plug is, if it points down at an angle towards the rear, like mine, then having the front higher allows more oil to come out.

Thanks Skhell, I found the front jack point easily after I knew what to look for.
I only lifted the front to drop the oil, it was ****** freezing outside so I didn't do everything I wanted. Once it has warmed up a bit I'll do the brakes work I want to do and change the gearbox fluid.

Cheers,
Colin

Never done it. If you have good, solid, with a large base stands, I guess you are ok. But you could always put some wood blocks to in front/rear of the lifted wheels, to prevent it from slipping.

Also, If you use one of those jacks with wheels, I bet it's the jack will move a bit when lifting car, so you will have no problems with that.

Cheers

Yeah got two trolley jacks, a small 2ton Halfords one and the Arcan race jack.

I only have 1 set of axle stands, but was wondering if ramps on the rear (jack the car and slide the ramps under the wheels) and axle stands on the front would be the better option? hmmm decisions decisions.. :eek:

Front first. That way you can keep the handbrake on to stop the car rolling anywhere when jacking up the rear.