What's new

How to remove the front ARB drop links without destroying them?

Tinker

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
I could use a little help here.

I'm in the middle of replacing my compliance bushings, but in order to remove the lower wishbone I need to undo the ARB drop link.

Now I've done a bunch of searches, and all I can find is people replacing broken drop links, not removing and replacing perfectly good ones.

I can get the nut moving, but all it does is spin the bolt, and there's nothing on the other side to grip on to (without wrecking it and using vise-grips).

Has anyone got any tips?

Alternatively, is it possible to change the compliance bushings without undoing the drop links?

2003 7th Gen According Touring Exec 2.4 petrol.

Thanks!

Lovely. That's the information I was looking for. I figured there must be a way of getting them off intact somehow.

Thanks for that. Hopefully mine has that allen key hole and then I'll commence with the pain of getting them off.

Going to go and spray them both down with WD40 again now in preparation for tomorrow.

Anyone any thoughts on replacing the compliance bushings without removing the ARB drop links? I'm sure I read that someone did it, but I cannot for the life of me find the thread.

Not worth messing about IMHO...worth a quick try but the Allen keys tend to round off the insides of the holes due to corrosion...get them off and replace them with decent aftermarket parts...ditto the arms and that way you get 3 new bushes not one.

I agree with cliffordski having tried to remove my bush's. Wish I had just replaced the whole arm. I got my drop links off with am Allen key and spanner but replaced them as the Allen key holes wouldn't have taken much more abuse I'd recommend meyle hd.

You can in theory replace the bushes in situ by removing the axle nut carefully and the compliance Bush bolt and the bolt at the rear. I tried this But it didn't work as the Bush was rusted In the arm. There is a video on YouTube for this method however only attempt it if you have a proper Honda bush removal tool.

Thanks guys.

Allen key route was a pretty easy success, undoing the top one where it meets the ARB rather than the lower one.

However, splitting the ball joint to get the arm off was a total failure. Had a shot at removing the bushing in situ, but I'm going to need a press to do that given the state it's in, even with my bushing removal tool.

Ah well. On to learning about splitting ball joints. Given that I was quoted GBP260 inc. parts for this job, for time and effort it would have been worth paying someone else to do it. All a learning curve though.

Here's the youtube video that chew mentioned to do it insitu. I have a very similar kit to the one the guy is using, but the outer steel ring on my old bushing is absolutely stuck in place, so the whole lot needs to come out so I can get it on a press.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYjP9kYLdLQ

Just an update for anyone attempting this...

1) Getting the ball joint apart - hit the lower control arm / wishbone really really hard with a big hammer. As told by my mechanic mate. Job done.

2) You can do this job without removing the lower control arm after all! See the video above - if this doesn't work, get the remains of the rubber bush out, then take a hacksaw and cut through the remains of the metal bush that's rusted to the wishbone in a couple of places. Then use the method in the video above. The whole lot comes out nice and easy. Take your new bushing direct from the freezer (so they're nice and cold and small) and send 'em in.

Learned a lot doing this job. Didn't enjoy all of it, but I know I could do it again in a fraction of the time now.