What's new

How To Replace EGR Valve

2lexec

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda
I have a 52 plate 2L SE Executive Accord Hatch Back. The engine management light came on and the dealer has said that its the EGR valve. This is over £300. Is it easy to change, do I need and special tools and of course where to get one from? Do I need to buy a genine Honda one or can I get an after market replacement? Step by step instrctions for replacing it would be appreciated, with photos even better :)

Thank you in advance
2lexec

Thr only special tool you'll need is a wobble bar extension.

Have you tried cleaning the valve and plate first? Usually this cures the EGR fault code.

Mrwall (Leon) done this guide on cleaning the EGR plate, so just follow the part at the beginning to get the valve out. It is a bit tight, I took the valve and injector loom plugs out and the breather hoses for more working space. The right hand side nut (as you look at the engine) of the valve was tight, not much room to get at it. It comes off easier than it goes on :eek::

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/11660-f20b-egr-cleaning/

If you have a socket set you might already have a wobble bar. I bought one years ago from halfords, only cause I needed an extension to reach a battery bolt and years later it found a use on this job lol.

This was the one I have
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_172081_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

The end (right side on pic) is angled on the four faces so a socket can wobble usually about 15degrees from parallel, sort of acting like a small CV joint, which was just enough to avoid the protruding bulk of EGR valve.

Thanks for the link AndyB1976, having looked at the link again it covers more then just replacing the egr valve. first time it just put me off but a second read seems ok. if i have to replace the egr valve is Honda the only place to get one from
or does anyone make after markte ones and are they any good? Dealer wants a tad under £430 to replace it. £330 in parts. £25.50 labour and the rest is vat. If thats the price thats one think but i dont want to pay over the top for it

2lexec

I'm not sure if there are any aftermarket options available on this sorry, I guess you could gamble on the bay or scrappie for a working one.

Try and get it off and give it a clean first. The only things I needed to remove were the breather hoses on top and the wiring loom connections marked in the howto (includng the injector connectors) this was just to get space to work in.

Have you tried Holdcroft for a delivered price? PM on the of Admin guys for the discount code, you might save a couple of quid and make it more worthwhile to try yourself ;)

Thanks AndyB1976. i have a few days off i'll give it a go. cant afford to be without a car. almost worth having a spare car for times like this
2lexec