What's new

Huming noise at 70

Jon2.2

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord i-ctdi
As ***le says i get a loud huming noise coming from the front of the car only at 70mph (cant quite pin point which side) it is more audible decelerating at bang on 70mph, my first thoughts could be wheel bearing as the wheel shakes a bit too

I have had this on other vehicles when the brake pads and discs were badly worn.

Sounds like wheel balancing to me but check all tires and brakes 1st its a process of illumination.Also a likelihood would be warped disks

I had full discs and pads changed about 3k ago, it is like a mechanical huming if that makes sense, a bit more than wheel balancing i think :(

Jon what kind of mileage are we looking at and did this start when the new pads and disks were fitted.

im on 102k atm and no this is a new noise recently since travelling on the motorway.

nobody think its the wheel bearings? might be driveshafts also as iv had the symtoms of wheel shaking at 55 when accelerating and shakes go just after 60 then humming starts at 70. With regards to wheel balancing, idiots at a garage put hammer on wheel wweights for steelies on my alloys!!!!, i didnt realise until i got home as i was in a bit of a rush, idiots!

Would take the shafts over the bearings; but definitely get that balancing looked at before blowing cash on anything else.

Have you changed your tyres or brand of tyre recently?

yep agree with Dan iron out the low cost things first.if it was me i would have the wheels of to see if there was anything trapped in the disk sheild.
then check condition of tyres then check all brakes are ok.
if that fells get the balance and tracking tested 1st

yes i had two front part worns thrown on recently (about 1000 miles ago) but only recently, the huming noise has appeared. I only got part worns as nobody had 205's in locally and needed them asap

Then its your tyres I would say, especially if they're budgets. The compound has probably just worn down now and showing the issue. try switching the front wheels to the back and if the noise moves with them wheels.. you know what the cause is.

As they say on mythbusters:

"There's yaw problem"

OK, just bought 4 new tyres and will get them fitted and ask them to balance and swap alloys and see what happens, i wanted new tyres anyway as cant stand mis-matched tyres with crap part worns, i will update as soon as all is complete :) wish me luck!

Good luck bud!

Had new tyres put on all round (hugley quieter), balanced and 4 wheel aligned and swapped fronts with rears and im happy to say huming has gone! :) shaking has dramatically reduced to only a slight shake at 60 but sadly now clutch has started to slip!

Thanks for all help :) il give HH a ring after my holiday, £615 i believe now?

Good news about the tyres, sorry to hear about the clutch slip :(

i know gutted as i sort one thing and another thing pops up :| hopefully i can get a bit more out of it before i give them a call.

Appreciate all help given :)

Good news Jon about the new tyres but sorry to hear about the clutch slip.
To be honest mate its one of these things with these cars but don't let it put you off.
Its a shame its not under extended warranty but most problems are so enjoy your quiet car :)

Mightn't the remaining shake be clutch related?

possibly, it is a light shake, nothing to what it was like before i changed tyre and swapped them with rears, sods law one thing after another, just hoping with clutch done (hopefully dmf will be fine) i will have trouble free motoring for a while and a remap

Jon do you no if this is the original clutch.Have you any sevice history with paperwork because if it is the original that is good mileage at 102k.

Im not sure mate, it was an Arnold Clark company car whilst in there hands for most of its life then some guy bought it then me. No reciepts came with it, just serviced at the right intervals, the only indication of a possible clutch change is the cruise control doesnt work? when i get it done i will let everyone know.