What's new

Hydra blade

tbourner

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Abarth 595
Anyone use the flexi blades for drying? I know you have to be uber careful that there's no dirt on it, and wipe it every time, but even then I'm not fully comfortable using it for some reason.
I'm thinking use it for initial wipe to get rid of standing water, then microfibre towel to dry properly.

I saw these the other week and they just seemed "wrong". Personally I don't get on with drying towels either - but perhaps that is just me being useless.

How would you rate them for ease of use to a chamois?

I seem to be getting arthritic fingers and drying the car really hurts. :(

Most detailers regard them as WMD as a bare minimum you need to wipe them with each swipe but even then they have been known to cause surface marring. However some people wont notice such marring and therefore probably just thing they are fine. It boils down to how bothered you are about such things, I tend to you two large MF towels and find them very good.

I use one to shift the surface water but then again the cars paintworks got enough marks on it already, however if it was a brand new car or fresh paint I probably wouldnt bother and just use my autoglym chamois thing which i use to finish drying the car off.

I wouldn't touch them at all with Honda soft paint.
I use a micro towel only.

Stay well away, stick your micro fibre cloth mate. My experience with micorfibre cloth is very good and I rate them very highly now.

As mentioned, if you don't really give two hoots about the condition of your paint, then carry on. The slightest bit of dirt (even dust etc that has blown on to your car after you have washed it) gets dragged across the surface with no where to go. I do have one in the boot though and use it on the windows on those winter's days that the windows are dewed over.

Personally i would never use one on bodywork, wouldn't use a chamois either for the same reasons, for me it's fluffy microfibre towels with a drying aid.

How would you rate them for ease of use to a chamois?

I seem to be getting arthritic fingers and drying the car really hurts. :(

You're getting old Dan!!
I use one to get rid of water on the roof it soaks the windscreen then I use it to get water of the windows so they don't dry spotty. However I always wipe it with aclean damp cloth before use and after each wipe

I agree completely with Shiny, I only use my blade on the windows to remove heavy dew etc, if the windows are slightly dirty though you end up with a streaky mess. I have always used a good chamois when washing the car but recently moved on to a microfibre towel which is very good.