What's new

I,m bafled

E M Wynne

Members
Reaction score
Car
2001accord 1.8is
At last i,ve managed to get to my garage, new year flu, & set up my OBD 11 scanner...after all my problems I get a NO FAULTS reading.
Tony B. On the way to the garage, again I got the MIL light on with a flashing D4...after your advise I checked the number off flashes on the D4...constant...there was no sequance...the D4 flashed continuously...car ran & accelerated as in a limp home mode...I stopped switched off the ign. sat for a minute & restarted...everything perfect, car ran like a dream...I,m usually pretty good with mecanical & electrical bit,s on cars...but this car has me scratching my head with frustration.
Anyone have any idea,s.
Eddie.

If it flashes continously with the service connector shorted out that should be classed as code 1 and the MIL will probably read P1753.
The flashes are read in groups ie:
flash flash flash...pause...flash flash flash...pause.etc is code 3
One long flash is a 10 so:
long flash...flash flash...pause...long flash...flash flash. etc is code 12

If the MIL has come on then it will be recorded as Andy has said.
Any more questions please ask away.

Andy, Is there a decient scanner on e-bay you would recommend...you said the MIL FLASHING...the MIL. light was on constant & the D4 flashed, but there was no pattern... as Tony B sugests.
Tony I thought it was not advisable to run the car with the scanner or the service connecter ON
Andy I,m coming over to Basingstoke end of Jan. are you far from there, if I come up to you & let you check the car.
Eddie.

who said that it is not advisable?
Ignition timing can be checked only when service connector is shorted and engine running.
And how you can datalog engine parameters without OBD2 scanner connected?
you can do one or another thing as it is permitted to do. these things were made for such things

As Linas says it is perfectly acceptable to run the engine with the service connector shorted out and the OBD code reader fitted.
If the service connector is shorted out then the MIL will be lit all the time the engine is running.
The D4 can flash up to 9 times to denote code 9.
Is it flashing contstantly with no breaks/pauses at all when the fault occurs?
I have >>>THIS<<< code reader and it works fine with my Accord. Just search for U480 on ebay.

Tony

Tony,
The service connecter is NOT shorted when the mil light comes on & is on constantly..the D4 flashes with no pauses...this is what surprized me when I connected my OBD.& it read NO FAULTS...& the engine goes into limp-mode & will not accelerate or drive properly while these lights are on.
Eddie.

Tony,
The service connecter is NOT shorted when the mil light comes on & is on constantly..the D4 flashes with no pauses...this is what surprized me when I connected my OBD.& it read NO FAULTS...& the engine goes into limp-mode & will not accelerate or drive properly while these lights are on.
Eddie.

IT's imposible. If mil got flashing then eror code should be saved into memory and obd2 scanner should show code. What OBD you are using? did you tried to shortcircuit self diagnostic socket?

Eddie,
If there is a problem the D4 will flash continuously.
If you then short out the service connector the D4 flashes will indicate the error code when the ignition is switched on.