What's new

Ignition Barrel

Dangil

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 1.8
Hi, the ignition barrel on my accord has started to lock up when trying to start it. If I move it back and forth it eventually free's and starts the car. Over times i'll get in and it turns no problem. I've googled it and it looks like its a common issue. When the barrel goes do they usaully just go completely or gradually seize?

What part do I need to order, is it the barrel or the switch on the end?

Daniel what year of Accord do you have?

My Accord (x-reg) suffered from the common ignition failure.

The car would randomly cut out when driving and be difficult to start at times. I think your problem is different as your car is not cutting out when being driven.

This was rectified by changing the ignition switch i picked up from a scrap yard for £10.

Honda were not very helpful when i contacted them.

I removed the barrel and took it to a locksmith just before christmas, he replaced the tumblers and something else for £30, its fine now. He said I was lucky I could still turn it, else i'd of had to chop the steering lock off.

My dads 6th gen, had a issue with the ignition barrel where you could take the key out of ignition 2 with the engine running, was very handy with shuffling cars to get other cars out in the drive with one set of keys haha.

But it was sorted at honda for free i remember correctly

With reference to symptoms mentioned by Mamun above....

I had that exact problem, which could be overcome by turning the key ever so slightly towards the start position. I traced it to the the electrical contacts on the ignition barrel. They are held to the end of the barrel en bloc with two screws and a plastic shroud, and the other end of the loom easily unplugs from the car.

By replacing the contact loom with a good second hand one, the problem was resolved without having to replace barrels / locks / keys etc. Big relief!