What's new

Ignition coil replacement

jarrattn

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Just had to replace one ignition coil on my 2005 2.0 VTEC Tourer. Cost GBP 100 from Honda. I suspect the other 3 will fail during the next 12 months.

Has anyone tried the cheaper alternatives. I found these on e-bay for GBP 40 from CarSparesDirect with a 2 year warranty

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-ACCORD-VIII-2-0-2003-ON-PENCIL-IGNITION-COIL-PACK-30520-PNA-007-NEW-/150712058436?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AAccord&hash=item2317238244

/NAJ

Has anyone tried the cheaper alternatives. I found these on e-bay for GBP 40 from CarSparesDirect with a 2 year warranty

Seen a similar failure on one about a year ago, but only the one failed. Replaced with Genuine but the other have been fine - I thought it was just a case of bad luck.

Just out of interest, how did you know that one had failed?

Intermittently the engine would run rough - very rough. Petrol is much simpler than the diesel, if the fuel is there all you need is a spark :)

Has anyone tried alternative coils with any levels of success?

I've just diagnosed a faulty coil on my 2.4 following a misfire i had start yesterday. I've just checked with my go to motor factor and they suggested Honda only as they've tried supplying others but found them to be problematic.

Original Honda ones are Tec Japan, I can't seem to find them anywhere aside from used ones on ebay. NGK ones (£165) work out more than Honda, who price it at the £115-130 mark based on the dealers I've called.

Just seems a lot for a coil, but at the same time reluctant to chuck on a cheap £20 one if it's going to be problematic.