What's new

Improving the audio without going overboard!

Adski

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 Accord Type S
Hi,

I bought my Type-S about 2 months ago and so far am made up with it; especially the increased power but much better economy over the S80 I had before it!

However, the only thing I'm disappointed with is the audio. It supposedly has the "Premium Audio" but I must confess, coming from the Volvo, it's a bit of a let down. At first I thought there was something dodgy with it because when increasing the volume, all bass disappears! I've since found out by looking on here that it's a "design feature".

What I'm after is improving this in some way but I've no idea where to start. I have searched these forums extensively but all the topics on this subject seem to go a bit over my head with my limited technical understanding of these things; I've read about people "installing caps" and doing all kinds with amps which means nothing to me! What should I be looking for? Replacing the rear speakers? Installing a sub? I don't really want to go throwing loads of money at it but I do want it to sound a bit punchier!!!

There are just a few things that I'm certain on - I don't want to alter the way things look so new head units are out (I'd lose the sat nav for a start!). I also don't want to have a million speakers installed taking up all the space in the boot. I just want it to sound at least half as good as the Volvo without looking stupid. Is that possible?

All that aside, I love the car!

Thanks for any advice,

Adam

Change the 6x9's on the shelf as the standard 6x9's are only 40watt. made a nice difference in my car. Nothing mental but noticeable.

I stuck some JBL GTO's in rated at 225watt. Its a simple swap as well. And only £30 from ebay.

Agree with swapping 6X9 , or replace with a powered slimline sub.

Alot of members have changed the 6x9 and seen an improvement that whilst not ground breaking still a good improvement and worth doing.

Like Sal said for true bass your gonna need to look at subs, but Ive been there in previous cars and now im just getting old :lol:

Hi all,

Thanks for the helpful replies. I have just a few follow up questions!

If I were to go out and buy a better set of 6x9s, I ***ume that even I would be able to replace them without drilling holes and sawing through the boot? Also, Crespo mentioned that the standard ones are 40w. Is there anything I need to do to allow me to fit higher powered ones? What should I be looking at power wise without running the risk of blowing anything up! (I'm sorry for sounding a bit thick on this!)

If I were to go down the sub route, what would be involved? Like I said earlier, I definitely wouldn't want to go stupid - just something nice and modest that would be easily hidden. Is this something that I'd have to get a professional to do to wire it all up?

Your patience and advice is very much appreciated!!!

Adam

If you wanted to put in a powered sub, you would need an amp wiring kit to carry the power fromt he engine bay to wherever you will place the sub and amp.

As for 6x9's just stick to half decent makes, Alpine, JBL, Clarion etc.

To be honest no matter what you do your sound system will be nothing on the one from your old Volvo. Volvo do put fantastic standard systems in there cars.
I had an S60 and the sound system in that was as good as the one i have at home.

You will be looking at spending some serious money to get the quality of your Volvo CD player. Especially if you had the 13 speaker (SE) set up.

Forgot to mention, The 6x9's are a straight swap. No cutting or drilling involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuVSFwB_5i0

I used to have a Saab Aero convertible with the AS3 Audio upgrade - the sound quality was something really very special. The swedes really know how to do Audio properly.

Hi,

Before I start, sincere apologies for not replying sooner. I've had a hectic month!

I did end up getiting some new speakers for the parcel shelf (ones I'd never heard of) and after much swearing trying to change them, I finally managed it!

There is an improvement but I have resigned myself to the fact that it will never be as good as the Volvo. Having said that, I've bought some new albums lately and they do sound punchier than the Credence Clearwater Revival and Pink Floyd I had been listening to!

So, thank you to you all for your help.

Adam

The rear supply on the EX is unfortunately split to feed both the rear door midrange and the base only speakers on the parcel shelf. So it's only 20W X2 going to base speakers, not enough for producing base at all. i think the set up in SE is better as you got 40W X2 for the rear shelves as there are no door speakers, and then you can install full range 6X9's. The sound is then noticeably better then the PSS.

The only way is fitting an amp and then powering either 6X9's or a seperate subwoofer. But it involves wiring and takes upspace in the boot.