What's new

Indicator Fault (turn signal)

hamalbasri

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord 2.2i cdti
Hey Guys, hoping someone can help,

I seem to have a fault with my lights / indicators. When drivng without any lights on my indicators work fine.
BUT as soon as i but my dipped beam on my indicators only seem to flash once and thats it. The hazards only flash once too. The drivers side headlight seems to dim significantly.
If i just run my side lights they work fine. But if i put my side and front fogs on the fault comes back.

I haven't changed any of the lamps yet.

Hope you can help me out

Many Thanks

Ham

Sounds very much like an earth fault. Clean the headlamp earths both at the headlamps and at the earth points on the body. Hopefully that'll make a difference.

+1

Definitely an earth fault. Only question is where!

Try running a jump lead, etc, from the battery negative to wherever it looks like there may be an earthing point near the lights concerned. It's going to be a common point for both the lighting and indicator circuits. When it 'cures' the problem, then you'll know the area where the fault is.

+1

Definitely an earth fault. Only question is where!

Try running a jump lead, etc, from the battery negative to wherever it looks like there may be an earthing point near the lights concerned. It's going to be a common point for both the lighting and indicator circuits. When it 'cures' the problem, then you'll know the area where the fault is.

If I remember correctly the earth wires from each headlamp units are all bolted to the body underneath the headlamp. Unfortunately the bumper has to come off to get at this bolt.

What's a fault scanner and how does it work?

Dunno, but I'd like one. It'd make finding wiring faults so easy.

Joking apart I know that the Federal Aviation Administration in the USA were working on just such a piece of kit a few years ago. I don't think they came up with anything practical that would survive being used in the real world though.

Dunno, but I'd like one. It'd make finding wiring faults so easy.

Joking apart I know that the Federal Aviation Administration in the USA were working on just such a piece of kit a few years ago. I don't think they came up with anything practical that would survive being used in the real world though.
Glad it's not just me! I'm familiar with Time Domain Reflectometry (TDR, as used by BT) to estimate bad connections/breaks by measuring how long it takes for the reflected pulse to return to source, but can't imagine it working on vehicles. Or maybe a software instrument for fully CANBus systems, as used on some modern vehicles?

I hope we get a reply!

If I remember correctly the earth wires from each headlamp units are all bolted to the body underneath the headlamp. Unfortunately the bumper has to come off to get at this bolt.

After having the bumper off I tested the indicators again with the headlights on all seemed fine. I gave all the wiring a jiggle and pushed all the connectors in and popped the bumper back on.

Mystery

Thanks for the help guys