What's new

Indicators not working and relay buzzing

bekaybe

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Tourer
2006 Accord Tourer 2.2 Diesel. This is not a request for help, but a description on how I resolved the issue, in case it is of help to anyone else with the same problem.
Symptoms: L & R indicators not working and the indicator relay on the under-dash fuse box was buzzing. The same symptoms with the hazard switch.
Actions: Removed the relay and performed the following tests:
1) checked voltage on socket 6: 12V present
2) checked socket 1 for continuity to ground. Good ground connection
3) connected 6 to 2 with link wire. no left indicators lit
4) connected 6 to 3 with link wire. no right indicators lit
5) removed all 4 21W indicator bulbs and performed 3) and 4) again. Wing mirror and dash lights work ok.

Next, I removed fuse 16 in the engine bay fuse box, and also one of the hazard relays behind the glove box (the closest of the two centre ones). Connecting a wire from the battery +ve (with in-line fuse) to the socket where the relay was (white/black wire visible) it was found that the indicators now worked ok.

Having previously found indicator faults originating around the engine bay fuse box (last time the right indicators were permanently ON, and only removing fuse 16 would turn them off) i removed the relay box and checked wire and connector conductivity and shorts to earth. No faults were found. Upon re-attaching all the plugs the indicators now work.

I must have simply been a dodgy plug connection under the fuse box.

Comments and observations welcome.

I was advised to dig a little deeper, as it is apparently unlikely to be a bad connection with the fuse block plugs. I'm glad I did; upon opening up the wiring loom that goes from the fuse box to the bulkhead, I found a number of badly charred and broken wires. The white/black for the indicators was one of them (hanging on by a thread). These have now been repaired. It looks like the wires have chafed against the inside of the black plastic ribbed tubing.