What's new

Injector leaking fuel and no start.

SOLIDSNAKE

Members
Reaction score
Car
HONDA ACCORD ES-GT
Hi there, I have finally refitted my injectors and torqued them correctly. I have a new issue. The engine will not start, there is fuel building at the rocker, and the glow plugs are fine (I have taken them out and cranked to see the glow) I am unsure as to how this injector is leaking but I think its the reason for the no start, also HDS reports no faults.

Any advise would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Maybe you already know this but for the sake of anybody who doesn't please be very careful when dealing with diesel fuel systems when they are pressurised.
The high pressure diesel can be extremely dangerous. Read this link.

http://incident-prevention.com/ip-articles/tailgate-safety-topics/high-pressure-hydraulic-injection-injuries

In particular never put your fingers/hand/anything else near to a suspected leak to see if you can feel something. Use a piece of card held in pliers or something similar and see if it gets wet with diesel.

A leak on the high pressure side will prevent the fuel rail reaching the necessary 200 bar minimum pressure during cranking. Below this figure the ECU will not signal the injectors to operate.

The common rail is not leaking, neither is the fuel pump, my test equipment shows during crank im getting 2410KPa or 24.1BAR I do not know why there is a low pressure, any ideas?

I have corrected the injector leak so there is no fuel leaving the system now.

Any ideas?

Kindest Regards

The common reasons for low rail pressure during cranking are either that the rail over-pressure valve (on drivers side end of the rail) is leaking, or that one (or more) fuel injectors has developed excessive leak-back/leak off. Both these faults result in fuel being returned to the fuel tank via the attached flexible hoses, so the leakage is not apparent. But your car was running OK previously, so odd that there's this problem now. Maybe an injector was damaged during removal?

Can you try to start it using Easy-Start spray?

Tried the spray no use, I thought there was a slight leak under then nut of the pressure rail as you said, is it worth just tightening it up to see?

Also the hand pump fuel primer gets soft after I crank the engine is that normal.

I am wondering if there is air getting in as well. I replaced the fuel filter and bled it through too.

<_<

Thanks

cpgaccord said:
Maybe you already know this but for the sake of anybody who doesn't please be very careful when dealing with diesel fuel systems when they are pressurised.
The high pressure diesel can be extremely dangerous. Read this link.

http://incident-prevention.com/ip-articles/tailgate-safety-topics/high-pressure-hydraulic-injection-injuries

In particular never put your fingers/hand/anything else near to a suspected leak to see if you can feel something. Use a piece of card held in pliers or something similar and see if it gets wet with diesel.
Cheers for the advise!

You have a nut leaking on the fuel rail? I didn't mention that as being a common problem! But do fix it.

The hand primer will get soft after the engine turns, as the fuel is sucked up by the pump so therefore removes any positive pressure previously produced by pumping the bulb. You did prime the system by pumping the bulb around 40 times or so after refitting the injectors? That's what the Honda manual instructs.

Odd that she doesn't start up with the spray.

Yes that nut was not leaking I was mistaken, It was the fuel pipe to injector 2 that was previously removed.I did prime the system after injector fit, but still no start. Do these fuel pumps fail?