What's new

Installing Alpine radio alongside std unit!

123taylor123

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord s 2.4 7th gen
Hi

When I first got my Accord S I decided I wanted to run 2 headunits at the same time and have some subs in the boot.

After a bit of thinking I decided to do this:
http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/868taylor868/media/IMG_1847_zps364d0577.mp4.html
Here are a couple of pics of the wiring loom etc.

IMG_1817_zps4e8e7943.jpg

IMG_1816_zps25bb1c92.jpg

IMG_1815_zpsc22a9a85.jpg

I now have Usb, Bluetooth ad2p, handsfree & ipod connectivity (when I fit the lead).

I have a piece of gloss black Perspex coming to fill in the gap. and will be putting a mounting bracket onto the Perspex above the alpine for my iphone.

I will put more pix on when done.

Let me know if you have any questions. I will try to respond as soon as I can.

Hello mate,
I'm very interested in your project.
The idea of keeping the functionality of the original Head unit and being able to switch to a modern Head Unit with all of its features is exactly what I was looking for.

I've looked into removing the original Head Unit and replacing it, but the closest I could get was an American kit for the US Accord which may not fit our dashes
Metra US accord kit

I prefer your solution, I would be interested to know where you got the wiring and how you set it up. I'm probably not the only one either.

i look forward to seeing the finished install,

Hi

Dont know how much the Metra kist costs.
The parts i bought are:

1no parrott honda accord splitter lead £8
1no 8 channel relay board £18
1no cheap 12v switch - £3
2no 12v relays - £1.50ea
various wires + terminal crimps £15

I was lucky as my car had a tape deck in it so i have just used the fascia and bracket from that to situate the alpine unit. but if you dont have that you will need:
1no fascia adaptor (eBay) £29.99

dont know if this a better price but i would imagine it will look a lot better that what youd be getting in that kit!

Would you like me to draw up a wiring diagram for the loom?

Looks promising. Are you also going to change the speakers too?? I fitted 17's to mine and soon upgrading to a x4 100w RMS amp.

Hi

The parts i bought are:

2no 12v relays - £1.50ea

I was lucky as my car had a tape deck in it so i have just used the fascia and bracket from that to situate the alpine unit. but if you dont have that you will need:

dont know if this a better price but i would imagine it will look a lot better that what youd be getting in that kit!

Hi Chris I am trying to do a similar fitment but pioneer head unit a wiring diagram would be really helpfull, as all local audio shops say cant be made to work alongside original unit as only one can be wired to work.

Hi

Fashioned a bit of black prespex to cover the gap. Just need to figure out how im gong to secure it. Probably superglue!

IMG_1864_zps36579652.jpg

Being fitted next:

2 x pioneer 500wRMS subs
1 x FLI 1000m amplifier.
Alpine rear door speakers (if there isn't any connection when I take the door panels off I will wire straight to the headunit's)
Alpine 6x9 parcel shelf speakers to replace factory ones.

Being fitted when funds available:

2 x Bass face spl12.2 1250rms subwoofers
2 x bass face db1.2 1000w rms monoblock subwoofers
Alpine front door speakers to replace factory std (may look at component ones at the time)

More pics when subs fitted. probably a video too!

I'm trying to find a way of drawing up a wiring diagram of how I got the alpine unit to work off a dash switch.

Its basic really though.
I bought an 8 channel relay from japan (Ebay) because you have 8 speaker connections (fr-, fr+, fl-, fl+, rr-, rr+, rl-, rl+).
I then got a "parrot" tap off loom for Honda accord so I could extract the connection to the speakers & the std headunit.
I then connected the speakers to the output of each relay (centre connection) then the std headunit outputs to the normally closed connections on each relay (left connection)
then the alpine outputs to the normally open connection (right connection)
When done properly the relay will switch between the outputs of each unit when 12v supply is added.

Now all you need is 3 12v supplies:
1. this is to go to the relay board.
2. this is the ignition live for the alpine
3. this is the permanent live for the alpine

this bits easier If I do a drawing (will add later) - the aim is to isolate/tap into (using the parrot tap off) the ignition live for the factory unit. then run that to a relay (a 4pin will do)
Its a good idea to run a live from the battery to run all the extra load your putting in. So I ran some 1mm stranded red (positive/live) from the battery and some 1mm black (negative). Put an inline fuse on the red wire near the battery 5/7a should suffice.

Using this new live connect to relay 1 (ignition live activated) then you will have 12v-no2 (ignition live for the alpine) & 12v-no1 (relay board live) connect them accordingly. I had a spare ISO lead which I butchered to do this loom.
you will need to put a 12v switch before the relay which I situated nxt to the Vsa switch. this is so you switch between the 2 units.
then you just need to wire a live straight to the alpine for its permanent connection 12v-no3.

This was a ***** to fit into the dash I must add. but will fit with persistence. I also made a sort of case for the relay board ( 2 bis of ply clamped round it) I would suggest using some 3mm Perspex instead to save space.

Hope this makes sense. if not please feel free to ask. But I think as long as you have a basic understanding of electronics you should manage it.

Hi Chris I am trying to do a similar fitment but pioneer head unit a wiring diagram would be really helpfull, as all local audio shops say cant be made to work alongside original unit as only one can be wired to work.

I got told the same. Just clicked one night how to do it. Was gutted by the thought of not having USB, Bluetooth & Subs!

im working on the diagram buddy. I will most likely do it on lunch 1 day at work. then scan it in so please excuse my ***** handwriting skills.
when I drew it up at home I did it on a piece of A3 card. Which my 3 yr old decided to add to for a surprise! ha.

I don't get it though, why would one want both the std unit & the aftermarket unit to work simultaneously??

I don't get it though, why would one want both the std unit & the aftermarket unit to work simultaneously??

For me it was 4 reasons:
1. I like all of the gadgets in a car to work
2. the Alpine unit i installed does'nt have a cd player (which i sometimes use)
3. the std radio gets better radio reception i always find

Best of both worlds then. I must say you have done a fantastic job there. Whereabouts are you Chris, if you don't mind me asking?

Long way from Cambridgeshire:)

Nice work mate! I did the same thing to mine, mainly because the standard headunit didnt have the sound quality i was after. I have a pioneer headunit in a custom built centre console, Nav unit relocated to the glovebox. My aftermarket stuff powers the front speakers and subs, standard unit powers the rear door speakers. As i had a huge power cable running to the back to power my amps, it was far easier to use a fused distribution block and run a permanent live to the new headunit (and earth it to the metalwork behind the center console). Works very well indeed.

I got told the same. Just clicked one night how to do it. Was gutted by the thought of not having USB, Bluetooth & Subs!

im working on the diagram buddy. I will most likely do it on lunch 1 day at work. then scan it in so please excuse my ***** handwriting skills.
when I drew it up at home I did it on a piece of A3 card. Which my 3 yr old decided to add to for a surprise! ha.
Hi Chris would this work with premium sound system with factory fitted amp?
If it will any further luck with your wiring diagram with your 3 year old ha ha.

could you not have got a double din unit to cover the whole space up?

i am quite happy with the system in my car, the only thing it is lacking is mp3 but i got that sorted along with b/t with the xlink.

nice work tho setting it all up

Hi

The parts i bought are:

2no 12v relays - £1.50ea

Hi Chris i tried to pm you but wont let me ? do you have a link to which 8 relay board you used, have looked on ebay but dont know what will work or wont as quite a few to choose from ? regards johncbx.

Hi Chris would this work with premium sound system with factory fitted amp?
If it will any further luck with your wiring diagram with your 3 year old ha ha.
Hi John

I dont see why it wouldnt work with the sat nav system. You just might have trouble isolationg the speaker outputs depending on whether you want to amplify the headunit you are installing.

My e-mial is chris.taylor.2@hotmail.co.uk If you need to ask anything.

the relay board is
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eight-8-Relay-Module-Board-for-8051-PIC-Project-12V-/151144058430?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item2330e34e3e
or item no 151144058430

Hi John

I dont see why it wouldnt work with the sat nav system. You just might have trouble isolationg the speaker outputs depending on whether you want to amplify the headunit you are installing.

My e-mial is chris.taylor.2@hotmail.co.uk If you need to ask anything.

the relay board is
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eight-8-Relay-Module-Board-for-8051-PIC-Project-12V-/151144058430?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item2330e34e3e
or item no 151144058430

Hi Chris thanks for the link for relay, I dont have sat nav but have premium system with factory amp sub and tweeters. not sure what needs conecting to new unit, do i need to connect all of them for best sound and how or just door speakers?
regards john.

Hi Chris thanks for the link for relay, I dont have sat nav but have premium system with factory amp sub and tweeters. not sure what needs conecting to new unit, do i need to connect all of them for best sound and how or just door speakers?
regards john.
HI John

Here is the long awaited wiring setup. Sorry its a bit poor but it should make sense!

CARWIRING_zpsccc5e8c2.png

Also if your interested. this is how it looks now.

iphonebackup04-09-13413_zps5daeeb54.jpg

However this is going to change this weekend. I'm installing my alpine R10's this weekend and I have changed the plate above the radio to accommodate some more switches and a voltmeter.

Pics to follow.

Also -- im working on a crazy idea. Im going to install a Samsung galaxy Tab 2 into the dash above the heater vents to be a media centre and torque racemeter display.
pics to follow again

Chris