What's new

instrument cluster failed 1.8 accord 2001

jerryrabbit

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 1.8S 2001
Today i started the car and all the gauges in the instrument cluster stopped working. They all went to zero, save for the temperature gauge which went to the max mark. The fuel light also came on, when I still had ~half a tank of fuel..And there was no digital display on the trip meter...The engine run ok, Is this the circuit board behind the dash clocks a loose wire or something..

Have you checked the fuses by the drivers and passenger side? Pretty sure one or more of them is for the instrument cluster

At the moment its all back working,,,But i dont trust taking the thing out in case it happens again.

Try fuse 9 on the divers side fuses, as per this post here from last year...

well it turns out not only does the gen.6 have fuses in the engine bay and passenger footwell, they also have them on the dash just below the A-pillar on the drivers side!

turns out fuse 9 had blown.

I've replied on the opther thread with the same ***le :lol: That's what you get for taking short cuts :lol: :lol:

Anyway, here's my post from there:

Did the EML light come on?

Also, as the temperature gague went all the way to hot, did the fan come on? Have you checked all the fuses? There is a box on the drivers side of the car, as well as one in the engine bay.

Also, I know it's a long shot, but have you tried an ECU reset? If not, disconnect the battery for about 10 mins, then reconnect, and see if there is any change.

Thanks, but why would i need to reset the ecu as the ecu light did not come on,it is obviously a electrical fault somewhere but no one seems to know much about it just guessing.

I suggested resetting the ECU as it could have just been a funny 5 mins for the engine, and by resetting the ECU you will take the car back to basics if that makes sense.

Have you checked the fuses? And did the fan come on when the temp gague went up to hot?

The ecu light did not come and neither did the cooling fan,how do i reset the ecu and where is it located.

The ECU is hidden and not very accesable, to reset, just remove the negative from the battery for 20 mins then reconnect.

Have you checked the fuses? As the dials had come back on working al ittle while ago the problem will most likely be a loose connection somewhere.

Thanks im hopeing it is just a loose connection with a connecter plug at the back of the dash.But it is going to cost me £70 to find out and haveing just been thrown out of work thats money i dont have.So thats why im trying to get help on here and it is not my intention to come across ungrateful to anyone for helping, but the thing is very frustrating..I will reset the ecu today but the ecu light did not come on so i would think that it hasnt recorded a fault code..What exactly does resetting the ecu do to the car.