What's new

Intermittent noise around alternator drive belt

Max10

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Diesel
Hi Folks,

Had my MOT done today and the mechanic mentioned a intermittent noise coming from around the alternator drive belt area. He never had time to investigate further but advised me to keep an eye on the noise. The noise only happens intermittently when I switch the car on, but he wasn't 100% sure it was from the alternator.

The car has done 91000, CDTI, 2005.

Any advise on what I could do to investigate further?

alternator bearings or pulley bearings, did you changed your aux belt to shorter or still running long one?

I'm just in the process of swapping my alternator - whilst it's off and I was waiting for the exchange unit I had a look at the belt routing. It's bearings were fine but it wasn't charging above 12.2v and was getting red hot after 30 seconds or so. Most likely a shorted rectifier methinks.

I had the original setup with the longer belt and the pulley that Honda now recommend to be removed. Also noticed that the idler pulley on the belt tensioner had a worn bearing..... there was around 1mm of lateral wobble whilst still mounted, and having got the pulley off I can hear and feel that the bearing is well past it's best. The tensioner itself is fine which is good as the whole part is almost £200, but the pulley alone is a more reasonable £41.

Just waiting on Holdcroft, bits should be here tomorrow with the reassembly on Friday (weather permitting of course !)

Cheers
Robin

Just replying to myself.... have fitted recon alternator, new tensioner pulley and a Gates 7PK1785 serpentine belt (the shorter one, rerouted and without the idler pulley) this morning. Access is very tight and eventually I decided to remove the radiator and fans along with the top half of the LHS engine mount which made things a lot more bearable.

Fresh coolant and a change of clutch fluid whilst the access was easier and everything is now hunky dory with far less squeaking / droning / knocking around the alternator belt area. Alternator charging at 14.2v and nice and cool :)

Great service from Martin @ Holdcroft as expected.

Cheers
Robin