What's new

iPhone in my ashtray?

spufmonkey

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 CTDI Accord
Hi guys and girls (if there are any)

Just wondering if it would be possible to integrate an iphone dock into the ashtray in my 2005 accord? now shoot me down if you want.. im only a newbie here but i think it would be quite cool to hide a dock in there?!? has anyone tried / suceeded in doing this?

i was thinking either the cubby hole or armrest first of all but ashtray seems like a challenge?

I think this type of thing would do.. what dya reckon?
Black-and-white-Dock-Cradle-Charger-Station-for-Apple-IPHONE-4-4G.jpg

Give it a go Damo and do a DIY for us

I would say that its definitely doable and would look pretty cool as well as being practical. If your good with a Dremel then buy a second hand ashtray and go for it. Hard wiring would be easy.

well... let the build begin! picked up a xcarlink for £27 from a auction site. for the purpose of this and so i don't advertise i shall call it dee bay.

As soon as that turns up and i get a dock i will start chopping! :rolleyes:

that is the change cubby hole by the steering wheel - remember Nuno drives on the wrong side of the road :)

Hi again chaps..

Does anyone know the measurements of the ashtray? just need internal measurements as im at work with no access to car :(

Thanks in advance

I like this idea, will be watching this thread for sure. Good luck mate

doesn't the ashtray incline the wrong way?

I hope it does - it looks like a good idea!

If you had an itouch and were feeling VERY brave you could modify the flap for the dvd drive. Not sure how well the plastic would route out though.

Yep, I can see what you're trying to do there - takes away the incline issue I mentioned earlier. It looks good, but I think you will need to do something with the ashtray lid. Would be a shame to loose the dampening effect though it might serve to support the iPod?

It does support the iPhone... As long as I get the measurements right and the dock fits how I want it! Shouldn't lose any standard looks as the dock will sit level with the top of the ashtray. Only problem I envisage at the moment is the dock having the connector on the back would mean it's too big for the gap?!?

I don't have a iphone but still interested in what your doing :D , Wouldn't the iphone foul on the lid though, or is it small enough to sit under the lid?

where there's a will there is a power tool ;)

Depending on how the cable connects inside the dock I was thinking you could always shorten the base and feed the cable out of the bottom.

Why do you want to put your iphone in the ash tray when you can put it directly in the trash bin where all rubbish belongs? :p

:lol: Apple to Krasimir is like Bosch to CJ, deodorant/bravery to the French.

:lol: Apple to Krasimir is like Bosch to CJ, deodorant/bravery to the French.
:D :D :D Not quite right though, I don't hate Apple, I just hate all the fuss about some of the rubbish products they make. And more importantly, the restrictions they put on them... And about blackberry... well, I don't have much experience with it, all I know is that as a business phone it was the top about 5 years ago...