What's new

Ipod integration

keiron99

Reaction score
Car
Accord?
I’m considering buying an Accord (up to about 2.5 years old) and in fact my need is urgent as my old Rover is beyond economical repair...so I am out shopping this weekend!

I will be selecting a model that offers leather upholstery (I’m spoilt!)

Because I’m in my car a lot, the audio is important to me. I fitted an Alpine in my old Rover which had full iPod control with a large circular knob allowing me to speedily scroll and select from menus just as you would on an iPod itself. Brilliant.

So, iPod integration is absolutely essential to me. However I am confused by what is available.

In short, do any Accord models offer such comprehensive integration of an iPod? I’m not talking about selecting playlists – I mean proper menu navigation.

If not, then I am happy to rip out what is there and replace with an Alpine or similar...if this is possible. However, the systems I have seen in Accords look properly integrated into the dash so maybe this isn’t possible?

Also, if I could/did rip out what is there, would I lose control of other aspects of the car? For example, is the display used to control heating etc?

Hi Keiron and welcome pal. Not sure if the existing system can be taken out of the 8th gen Accord. I believe the heaters etc are all controlled through this system. On the 7th gen there was a unit available that was far more advance from the original and was an excellent replacement to cars without sat nav. However upon further testing by members here we found that it did have many bugs in the software.

The popular choice for many members here including myself is a module called XCARLINK. This is connected to the existing system and is played through the AUX mode. It allows the use of the steering controls to navigate though the tracks stored. However i'm not sure how similar it maybe to your Alpine setup. I have one fitted to my 7th Gen Accord and it works well, its folder based and simply navigate though the folders and select a track. However no search capability is available.

Have a look at the xcarlink website and check features and compatibility for your model of car.

Xcarlink is only one version, there are several other options out there so do have a search.

Hope that helps and do get pictures up when you buy your car.

Thanks for that. I have tried to look for a video demonstration but cannot find one.

So does the display (and I'm thinking of a 2009 model with the large display high on the dash) show a list of artists that you can scroll through, then hit select, and it displays a list of albums to choose from?

Hi Keiron,

Yes it does display a list of albums or artists or playlists. However there are a few annoying (to me) things about the IPod control.

1. When you want to change to another album the slection starts from the top of the list instead of the currently selected or playing album.

2. There is no song time displayed, however you can fast forward and rewind using the tune < & >button and the track time is displayed while you hold either tune button on the single display in the dash instead of the track number This is really annoting if you want to find a song in a mix album with only 1 long track.

3. Full song ***les and artists names are not displayed even on the lcd screen. they are cut short to fit the area available. Why couldn't they have had scrolling text? This even more annoying when I am in other cars of the same age and they have the ability to display radio text. Honda or their audio suppliers do not seem to provide this yet other manufacturers have it.

Pete

bit confused? I have a 2009 with Satnav and its got full Ipod intergration and yes the names dont display on the little LCD screen but the album artist track etc all appear on the Nav screen? Anyway one thing I would say is the speakers cant handle the system and often blow, replace them and you will have a good system.

The faulty speakers only effect years 2008-2009 after this they were fixed.
As for the iPod I just use a flash memory stick much easier and keep it plugged in all the time.

Hi

In our 2008 MKViii we have ipod intergration. It connects no problems and you are easily able to navigate via the SatNav or steering wheel buttons through tracks/artists/playlists which are all shown on the SatNav screen. There are a couple of minor issues. Firstly it doesn't charge my Iphone 4S (wrong voltage I guess?) but is fine with our older Ipod nano's (I could get an adapter but I'm not bothered) and strangely it doesn't see Podcasts. So I just create a Podcasts playlists folder and it see's these fine. Overall it's a good Ipod integration system.

We also have the speakers issue problem and could the speakers replaced by Honda under warranty.

The speakers are only under the normal 3 year warrenty.