What's new

irregular idle.

E M Wynne

Members
Reaction score
Car
2001accord 1.8is
Guys,
While trawling through my list off things to do...I have a irratic idle sometimes 100 rpm. sometimes 750 rpm. but it never stalls, now the ESM, says the IAC. valve controls the idle...auto. box...is it just stuck, after being layed up for so long...can I take it off & clean it out with some carb. cleaner...or do I need a new one.

Guys,
While trawling through my list off things to do...I have a irratic idle sometimes 100 rpm. sometimes 750 rpm. but it never stalls, now the ESM, says the IAC. valve controls the idle...auto. box...is it just stuck, after being layed up for so long...can I take it off & clean it out with some carb. cleaner...or do I need a new one.

Take out the IAC valve and clean it with carb cleaner.
The IAC valve is behind the throttle body. Remove the throttle body and then you can easily remove the IACV to clean it.

Also make sure to clean the throttle body and plate with carb cleaner.

A common cause for erratic idle is vacuum leak. Make sure all your vacuum tubes are connected and not leaking.

^good advise there from Pedro.

Also, I would recommend you reset the idle settings by disconnecting the battery. Press the brake pedal - so that all power is drained from car. Wait a few minutes. Then connect battery. Start the car from cold with all accessories turned off - no load ont he engine. And just leave it to idle until the fan kicks in. It will probably take about 15 mins maybe 20. Just leave it alone to relearn. Dont touch the gas pedal during this. Then take it for a drive and over the next few days it should relearn all the settings.

^good advise there from Pedro.

Also, I would recommend you reset the idle settings by disconnecting the battery. Press the brake pedal - so that all power is drained from car. Wait a few minutes. Then connect battery. Start the car from cold with all accessories turned off - no load ont he engine. And just leave it to idle until the fan kicks in. It will probably take about 15 mins maybe 20. Just leave it alone to relearn. Dont touch the gas pedal during this. Then take it for a drive and over the next few days it should relearn all the settings.

Actually the procedure recommended by Honda is to leave the engine working at 3000rpm until the fan kicks in at least twice, but I guess that leaving it idle will also work B)