What's new

Is ip possible to watch films through your iPhone on sat nav

rhinogolf

Members
Reaction score
Car
7th&8th gen tourers
Is it possible to watch videos/films through your iPhone connected to aux lead on the car sat nav ????

XCarlink does everything you'd need

You need both their Audio and Multimedia interface. You take the video feed to the Multimedia interface and the Audio feed to your iPod interface and then away you go. I'm not 100% sure about the ins and outs of how this works, I don't have one myself, but I'm sure someone on here must have done it, and will be able to tell you more about it. But I imagine you'll need something like this

TBO Dave what is the point if your driving then you should be watching the road not a DVD.
If its for the passengers then Honda sell great ones for the rear head rests

XCarlink does everything you'd need

You need both their Audio and Multimedia interface. You take the video feed to the Multimedia interface and the Audio feed to your iPod interface and then away you go. I'm not 100% sure about the ins and outs of how this works, I don't have one myself, but I'm sure someone on here must have done it, and will be able to tell you more about it. But I imagine you'll need something like this
Not the brightest when comes to electronics so I'm right in thinking I need both items??? So looking around £200 fitted

TBO Dave what is the point if your driving then you should be watching the road not a DVD.
If its for the passengers then Honda sell great ones for the rear head rests
Brett I'm a taxi driver and during the wk specially this time of yr just sat about in station will be putting 8th gen on as taxi shortly so can you imagine when other drivers see car full spec tourer and me watching sky go on sat nav through iPhone . Happy days

True Dave I forgot about that then as steve said x link will be your best bet.

Brett I'm a taxi driver and during the wk specially this time of yr just sat about in station will be putting 8th gen on as taxi shortly so can you imagine when other drivers see car full spec tourer and me watching sky go on sat nav through iPhone . Happy days
Hope you don't mind me asking, what's it like as a taxi driver. I ran a "taxi" service for my 19-year-old son at 3am New Year's day with his girlfriend, and I made him sit in the back nearside for obvious reasons, which turned out to be correct, twice. Things like that and potential fare dodgers or "muggers" put me off the idea. Can it be that bad ? Can you choose who not to let in the car ?

You will need both yes. You get an ipod to component connector of some sort. The video feed to the multimedia via either a VGA (like your blue computer video monitor connector)

VGA_port.jpg

or through a composite phono connector (depending on which ipod connector you get)

f249ba.jpg

The VGA will be a better quality image as the red, green and blue are separate feeds as opposed to the composite where they all come down one cable at the compromise of video clarity.

Then the sound will go through a regular mini jack (like a small headphone connector) into the aux in on you ipod audio interface.

You set your stereo to aux in and flick the multimedia xcarlink switch for your screen to display the ipod feed. You now have sound and video. I installed the ipod interface for audio in my car last week. ***uming you don't drop bolts into the gear linkage and lose 30 minutes trying to find them again like I did, you could probably do the whole job yourself in about 2 hours. You'll need a small flat blade wrapped in a cloth to prize off some panels, a spatula to help lift some panels out and a philips screw driver for some screws, and maybe a 10mm ratchet too in case you need to undo some bolts to get at things. I doubt the 8th and 7th gen fitments are that different. There are some great write ups on here and other places for the 7th gen exec. Not sure about the 8th, so you may need to do some exploring. Perhaps the TSX forums state side might have some info.

Hope you don't mind me asking, what's it like as a taxi driver. I ran a "taxi" service for my 19-year-old son at 3am New Year's day with his girlfriend, and I made him sit in the back nearside for obvious reasons, which turned out to be correct, twice. Things like that and potential fare dodgers or "muggers" put me off the idea. Can it be that bad ? Can you choose who not to let in the car ?
I'm a hackney driver so yes I can pick and choose but have to have legitimate reason for not taking some1, also work out of York railway station so during the day mostly business people your ferrying about, nights a different kettle of fish but 99% of people fine, been doing for about 10yrs now but never get used to working in early hrs on wk ends. But pays the bills

You will need both yes. You get an ipod to component connector of some sort. The video feed to the multimedia via either a VGA (like your blue computer video monitor connector)

VGA_port.jpg

or through a composite phono connector (depending on which ipod connector you get)

f249ba.jpg

The VGA will be a better quality image as the red, green and blue are separate feeds as opposed to the composite where they all come down one cable at the compromise of video clarity.

Then the sound will go through a regular mini jack (like a small headphone connector) into the aux in on you ipod audio interface.
Many thanks for that way out of my DIY skills but now no can be done, just need to find some1 who can do for me
You set your stereo to aux in and flick the multimedia xcarlink switch for your screen to display the ipod feed. You now have sound and video. I installed the ipod interface for audio in my car last week. ***uming you don't drop bolts into the gear linkage and lose 30 minutes trying to find them again like I did, you could probably do the whole job yourself in about 2 hours. You'll need a small flat blade wrapped in a cloth to prize off some panels, a spatula to help lift some panels out and a philips screw driver for some screws, and maybe a 10mm ratchet too in case you need to undo some bolts to get at things. I doubt the 8th and 7th gen fitments are that different. There are some great write ups on here and other places for the 7th gen exec. Not sure about the 8th, so you may need to do some exploring. Perhaps the TSX forums state side might have some info.