What's new

JDM F20B Bluetop

JakeWhite

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.0 Vtec '99
Hi all,
I currently have the UKDM F20B6 SOHC in my 99 accord. Will a JDM F20B blue top (DOHC) be able to dorp straight in? Also, could I use my current gearbox, ancillaries etc and literally just swap in the blue top motor? I ask as the blue top I have my eye on came from an Auto and mine is manual so was wandering if I could use my manual box etc? Any advice appreciated :)

The JDM F20B has a lower compression ratio than a H22A, so is a better choice for turbo builds. I've been tempted on occasion to buy one from the bay to keep in the garage just in case either of my H22A's let go.

As for a straight swap, Im fairly certain it should be if it's from a 5th Gen Prelude. Might be worth having an ask on various Prelude forums RE the gearbox as there may be someone who's had to change their box at some point.

Shiny- The blue top is a DOHC F20B so much better than the Standard SOHC F20B
Josh- I would imagine i could just convert the motor without all the other bits as didn't some Accords come with the blue top from factory (rare)? So therefore I would've thought all the gearbox/ancillaries etc should match up?

Not too sure if I'm honest. But as had been said they are better for putting a blower on, but if it were my money I'd get the H22.

Or, do. What I did. Sell up and buy a type r. Only my 2 pence worth though.

Not too sure if I'm honest. But as had been said they are better for putting a blower on, but if it were my money I'd get the H22.

Or, do. What I did. Sell up and buy a type r. Only my 2 pence worth though.
I would buy a type-r but I can't justify the £2000 insurance hike. (sounds mad but it's ridiculous how much it goes up by!) I have been looking for A7 motor but remembered someone saying the same about the F20B being better for FI, which is always something to bear in mind :)

If it's purely for putting a blower on then the F22 SOHC will be a better bet than the F20B. There wad a chap called Justin on here a while ago who turbo'd his F22 and it was amazing.

But then when you look at the cost of buying and fitting another engine you'll be up to nearly £2000 anyway, then the insurance will go up in that too. Then FI on a Honda engine is 4 grand up. I looked into this a lot when I used to have a 2.0 6th and for a decent build the cost was £7k plus.

Don't get me wrong a turbo charged Honda is epic and if you go for it we'll help wherever we can.

Shiny- The blue top is a DOHC F20B so much better than the Standard SOHC F20B

It's non-VTEC though... I can't remember the power output for the F20B DOHC, but to put it into perspective the non VTEC DOHC H23A puts out only 160PS IIRC, that's only a marginal amount more than the stock F20B6. As for insurance, quotes on my 6th Gen Accord are silly money when I put down a modification of a non standard engine, so I can't see the insurance on an ATR being much worse for me bearing in mind what I pay to insure my JDM Prelude. I am only 22 mind :p

*edit

I should probably add, if you wanted the DOHC F20B solely for a turbo build then I'd say go for it. If it's just for plug and play power I wouldn't spend the money personally. I'd buy a H22A instead, which is what I've done :lol:

Iirc the insurance for a standard performance car i.e an ATR will always be cheaper than a car that has been modified to give the same power output.

P.S I really hope you do go for a blower. Love a turbo'd Honda I do.

P.S I really hope you do go for a blower. Love a turbo'd Honda I do.

Second :lol: A turbo Accord build on the forum would be epic. 6th Gen Accord sexiness tied in with turbo performance would be mental :D Do itttttt :p

The F20B DOHC puts out 197 hp if you get it from an Accord Sir-T
The F20B DOHC from an Accord Sir will put out 180 hp
Difference between the two is that the latter had a tiptronic gearbox which couldn't handle as much power
There aren't many parts for it outside of Japan because the only country the engine was available from was Japan
I don't know whether it's a straight bolt in but the jap accords that the motor came from had the same speedo, and dash design as our cars so I don't see why not...
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2336/3201/30839100003_large.jpg[/img

Also they are V-TEC

It's not the same F20B that was from the JDM Preludes then?

Balls just realised I'm thinking of the non VTEC F22B engine, my bad. As for the F20B, has anyone even seen one for sale over here? I've seen the odd DOHC F22B but never an F20B

Not seen the F20B itself but I've seen a couple of Jap Accords for sale in Ireland

Yadash to the rescue lol.

Cheers for the informative posts you're both putting up dudes.

This was my point, i thought the F20B from an auto was around 180bhp as Yadash has mentioned.

Insurance on an engine swapped vehicle will be horrendous as there is such a limited market that will cover it. Stick a blower on it and it will be stack more than an ATR!

An H22 swap will see 200bhp if JDM, or 210 if an H22A7, but for the price you can buy an ATR, you may as well by an ATR and have all the other goodies that it come with (LSD, chassis stiffening, Recaros, Momo Steering Wheel and handling that makes your knickers wet.

How much scope is there for modifying a H22A7 motor? I.e, with my F20B6 all I can seem to do is put on an induction kit and an exhaust. How far can you take the H22A7?

Depends how much money you can throw at it if I'm honest. But then the ATR isn't all about straight line speed, although that helps it's sooooo much more than that.

Basics are what are in my sig, but I have tried cams and P28 ECU and to be honest, I'm happier with the set up I have now.

I thought the preludes had H22A5s..... This is all getting rather confusing now lol.

UK Preludes could be fitted with an SOHC F20, over in Japan they had a DOHC F20 instead as they seem to keep the nice stuff for the domestic Market. It's the DOHC one that's meant to be good for FI set ups apparently

The H22A5 is the first UKDM 5th Gen Prelude engine, later ones were fitted with the H22A8 which puts out the same power as the H22A7 :) the JDM cars came with different H series blocks - my 4th Gen has an H22A, no number after it as the H22 blocks were available there before anywhere else. Can't remember the code for the UKDM 4th Gen, got a feeling they had an H22A2 though from memory.

All very confusing indeed :lol:

^^^no wonder I was bl00dy confused lol.

If it helps, there was a guy on Prelude UK when I was a member that turbo'd a H22A7 I think one a 5th gen and got some very pleasing results.

I've seen a couple of H22 series being tubo'd, one notably on a 4th gen prelude I spotted at Jap Show many years back which had a turbo and the exhaust had been modified to stick out the nearside front wheel arch which looked quite funky.

Apparently it was good for blowing the skirts of attractive women above waist height :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_H_Engine

Ive read though it, its correct, this will clear things up.

Yeah preludes came with 2.0 SOHC's and 2.2 DOHC's in Englandland
i wasn't sure about the Jap engines but god, old jap cars are NIICEE

всем привет!
F20B (DOHC) blue top, а так же H23A (DOHC) blue top подойдут к любым типам механических коробок передач, если они стоят с моторами F/H - series

There is few solutions regarding f20B with auto box:
1. swap f20B with auto box and auto ecu and get 180hp;
2. swap f20b with manual gearbox, get manual ecu and get 200hp;
3. swap f20b with manual gearbox and convert to obd1 (use chipped p28, p30 or p72 ecu then).

everything should be bolt on except transmision mounting(manual and auto are different). :)