What's new

Joined the dark side..

One of the lads at work has an s1 which I constantly rip him for (roller skate) but my god does that thing move.
It's red with black wheels and always reminds me of an angry ladybird lol

Andyjdmteg said:
One of the lads at work has an s1 which I constantly rip him for (roller skate) but my god does that thing move.
It's red with black wheels and always reminds me of an angry ladybird lol
Angry birds [emoji23]

Mate has the latest S3. It is incredibly quick, and surprisingly economical for a 300bhp 4wd car, but the ride is awful and it makes lots of artificial engine noises that if my Accord made I'd be grinding this forum to a halt with my worries :D

I was very wary of buying German but have (touch wood) had no real issues with my 09 plate E60 523i. Over 30 months of ownership and just standard servicing plus a noisy 'swirl flap' like issue which cost £250 to replace. The indy garage that I take it to was honest enough to state that the majority of problems are with the diesel engines. The straight six engines, bar the odd coil injector issue are generally pretty robust.

I think its safe to say though, that the Germans are top of the league when it comes to ergonomics, especially for taller drivers.

Swirl flap? In a 523i? Agreed though, I love the bmw straight sixes such a lovely soundtrack when you push the loud pedal

Spent a bit more time with it, one thing I don't like is the MMI system. I know it's supposedly one of the best systems out there so I probably should just criticise the Audi system but why so complicated? How many screens do you need? To change channel on the radio you either need to use the steering wheel controls and scroll through menus in front of you or you use the mouse type thing on the centre and navigate the screens that way. Either way, it's takes your concentration of the road. Then you've got hard drives, CD, bluetooth, USBs. Apparently you can create shortcut buttons but I don't have time to mess with all that.

Andyjdmteg said:
Swirl flap? In a 523i? Agreed though, I love the bmw straight sixes such a lovely soundtrack when you push the loud pedal
Part replaced was listed as a 'flip motor'. Yep.....not a clue.

It's a fairly meaty soundtrack, even from the relatively humble 'standard tune' 2.5. Miss the unique nature of my old Accord Coupe though.

Mrs only done short town journeys this week, car computer showing MPG in the low 40s, not bad for a brand new engine and a driver who doesn't know there's gears 4-6 available.

Love my BMW 3.0 straight six , choice at the time was Audi 3.2 TT , BMW Z4 , Alfa Romeo Brera Q . ... Brera ..to slow .. Audi ..to many buttons , paddles ,nonsense and finicky bits .. BMW .. bare as bones , sounds great , goes and grips really nice if a little harsh ... loved it ..bought it .

Well after driving the A3 back to back with my Accord over quite a few miles it has thrown up some interesting comparisons; the hydraulic steering on the Accord is much nicer than the artificial electric steering on the A3. I like the little 3 cyl turbo the A3 uses but it's no K24, doubles the MPG of the 2.4 though :D . Ride better on the Accord, A3 far quieter though. A3 handles better I'd say, but not much in it. Obviously the modern info system on the A3 is easily better than the Accord's system whole generations between them. Interior, a strong point on all Audi cars is good, feels very well made lots of nice family friendly touches but again, the Accord feels just as well screwed together just hasn't got the modern appearance or materials. The indicator stalk feels better on the Accord though B) and I much prefer the feel of the Accord's steering wheel.

I know it's comparing apples and pears but the Accord is nearly 10 years old and with 122k on the clock, the Audi is three weeks old with 5oo miles, it shows the class of the Accord. Oh, and the Accord stands me at 2.5k inc. parts I've replaced, the A3 considerably more!