What's new

Judder

edwardgregg

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hi, can anyone ***ist?! I have a 7th Gen 2004 Accord Executive Tourer. 2.4 Automatic.
The car has developed a Judder when coasting at 45-50 mph. It seems to stop if you accelerate.
Thoughts or suggestions greatfully received.

Could be wheel balance if not driveshaft

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

Thanks for reply. This sounds serious! What would you suggest as next steps- take it to a garage and ask them to investigate the drive shaft? Any idea of typical cost of repair?

sometimes the balancing weights drop off the wheel (especially the glue type).

It happened to me while I was at Quick-fitup.
As the chap was rolling the tyre to the car (after balancing) one of the weight fell off. He didn't even know it had, and i had to make him do it all again.

Worth double checking.

May also be the other things in the posts above,

Not really enough of a description to give any reliable judgement. Auto boxes are much gentler to the driveshafts, so less chance of them being worn. Could be the gearbox itself, is the fluid level correct? Has the fluid ever been changed? How many miles has it done?

Jon_G said:
Not really enough of a description to give any reliable judgement. Auto boxes are much gentler to the driveshafts, so less chance of them being worn. Could be the gearbox itself, is the fluid level correct? Has the fluid ever been changed? How many miles has it done?

Thanks. Done 137,000 miles. I have had the car serviced every year (but swapped from Honda dealership to local garage a few years ago). I am not aware of fluid (transmission fluid?) ever being changed. Is that where you would start?

edwardgregg said:
Thanks. Done 137,000 miles. I have had the car serviced every year (but swapped from Honda dealership to local garage a few years ago). I am not aware of fluid (transmission fluid?) ever being changed. Is that where you would start?
Not really, if possible I'd want to investigate the problem before jumping in and changing things.

Is the judder always/only when coasting at 45-50? Does it make a difference whether going downhill? Any difference if you select a gear rather than using 'D' (apologies, but I'm not familiar with the autobox controls)? Any vibration under heavy acceleration?

Mine did the juddering thing when I purchased it, did the gearbox oil change thing that hondas are famous for and it's a sweet as a nut now.
Drain the gearbox, approx 3L will come out and fill with new Honda ATF, drive around for a few miles to mix it up then drain again. Top up once more with 3L and drive around some more. Now do that all again for the last time.
Every Honda I have purchased has had dirty ATF, people just don't seem to like or know it needs doing every 30,000 miles.