What's new

Juddering

korn3

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord CTDI
Hi guys,

This is a query regarding juddering in my 2005 ctdi.

Originally the problem was worse, the car would judder in 3rd and 4th gear at around 50-60mph. But after following other posts on this forum, I decided to have both sides of the drive shaft changed. Changing them was a big improvement and the judder in 3rd/4th gear has disappeared - However, the car is still juddering in second gear when accelerating.
Annoyingly, the problem is intermittent and it wont always happen, which makes it harder for a garage to locate the issue.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Chris you probably been following my posts 50mph to 70mph big shudder then changed both driveshafts fine at them speeds now but a very slight shudder around 20mph to 30mph but not too worried new tyres, discs, and just passed MOT but i will be keeping a eye on this thread
good luck :)

Hi Will,

No I hadn't seen your posts actually - just had a quick read and one interesting similarity here is that we both used driveshafts from Eurocarparts. Out of interest were they the Q-drive ones?

Thanks

I have exactly the same symptoms.Changed both driveshafts recently for blueprint ones, and replaced the bearing and seal on the intermediate shaft.Between 17- 20 mph shudder feels like wheel out of alignment, or anti lock system pulsing or similar.Have brand new tyres, front wheel alignment and rotated all wheels to see if buckled rim or misshapen tyres, and it still persists.

​I'Ve no idea what to try next.

korn3 said:
Hi Will,

No I hadn't seen your posts actually - just had a quick read and one interesting similarity here is that we both used driveshafts from Eurocarparts. Out of interest were they the Q-drive ones?

Thanks
korn3 said:
Hi Will,

Thanks
yeah think they are the only ones they do so it could be cheap driveshafts i suppose am just going to live with it for the time being

trolleyjack said:
I have exactly the same symptoms.Changed both driveshafts recently for blueprint ones, and replaced the bearing and seal on the intermediate shaft.Between 17- 20 mph shudder feels like wheel out of alignment, or anti lock system pulsing or similar.Have brand new tyres, front wheel alignment and rotated all wheels to see if buckled rim or misshapen tyres, and it still persists.

​I'Ve no idea what to try next.
Hi Ron, did changing your driveshafts get rid of shudder at higher speeds?

It's the wear on the splines that causes the judder.
If you've not changed the half-shaft, the smaller judder will remain as there are still one set of worn splines in the system.

korn3 said:
Hi Ron, did changing your driveshafts get rid of shudder at higher speeds?
​Never had any vibration at all at higher speeds, the splines on the intermediate shaft are good, I'm not convinced they are the cause, but not discounting it as one. .It's feels more like a suspension tracking component issue to me, on my particular car anyway.

korn3 said:
Thanks Matt :)

Any idea where I could pick one up? Ling's sells them, £346!
Holdcroft Honda look after us well.
Good service and give forum discount.

Goodluckmonkey said:
Holdcroft Honda look after us well.
Good service and give forum discount.
Great stuff. Cheers again

Out of interest did you change the half shaft in the end and did it cure it for you?

The halfshaft's the only part in my car that hasn't been swapped out. (All front suspension components and inner and outer track rod ends are recent)
Even with a fresh driveshaft, I can still rock them slightly relative to each other.
My car exhibits the same slight 20mph driveshaft oscillation which I'm sure will remain till I swap the halfshaft's out for a new part.

Holdcroft quoted £319 for a new one. I've managed to get hold of one from a breakers instead, from a lower milage accord.

Will update in a week or two when it's fitted + tested.

Hi Guys,

my accord has a judder when it starts from static, slight judder when i release clutch, and same when in reverse gear an clutch is related, once the car star movie the judder goes away...

NB: had clutch and DMF were changed this year APRIL....

Any idea if this is due to shafts as well?

Shafts is a severe 50-75mph vibration.

Sounds like you have a clutch problem.

Ok the one from the breakers was fitted yesterday. So far it seems fine, but the problem is always intermittent so I'll know for sure whether it cured it in a few days time.

The old part looks ok, the splines dont seem worn (difficult to tell though), there is play in the bearing however.

Great stuff!

Worth mentioning. I had a judder when pulling away in 1st from the engine area. It turned out to be a gearbox mount. Ive ordered it from HH and hopefully fit it soon.
This link on utube gives a good idea on how to access and replace the rear and side mounts.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iSlg71Hf6zg