What's new

Jumping Revs

darcus

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 iCDTi EX Saloon
Hi,

I've a 2005 CDTi - normally runs like a dream, but recently I've been getting a few problems and was wondering if someone can shed some light on this:

1. Lets ***ume for a second that I've been driving for half an hour, so the car is nicely warmed up. Stopped off for a few minutes, switched the car back on and then, (don't ask why) I decided to rev the engine - not in gear or anything, why does it jump from like 4k back down to 3k then back up to 4k? Shouldn't it maintain revs? Is this a problem I can easily rectify? The fuel filter was changed about 400 miles ago, it has had oil and oil filter changes every 3 months - it's on it's last 3 month cycle now, should be moving to 6 months shortly and had fuel treatments a few months ago latest fill had BG244 in it. Is it the BG244 causing this or is there something wrong with my car? I am sure that after revving it like that, I started hearing more knocking which quickly disappeared... now it's smooth.

I had thought it was the clutch before, the only thing that prompted me to rev the engine like that when parked was that the car jerked when I was trying to overtake someone (revs dropped, then quickly picked up again). Thinking that it's something to do with the injectors or the fuel system somewhere...

Any advice on fixing this?

2. Can someone please give me the location of the master clutch cylinder and is it easily accessible? any photos would be appreciated - mine creaks in cold weather - it needs a lube or a replacement.

3. My security light comes on occasionally whilst driving - does anyone know what could be causing this?

4. I've used Shin-Etsu grease on the weather seals on the doors, even gone so far as to get the felt tape that VW use on their door weatherseals - which has changed the sound of the doors closing now - which is nice, but they damn doors still rattle! It went away for a bit once I applied the felt, but now its back. I'm really not happy with this more than anything else... I really don't like odd noises in my car - don' t know if I should remove the door cards and line those with some dynamat or something...

My car has done 103k miles - and Ive only had it for 4k miles... any help would be appreciated, I'm beginning to miss my 01 Coupe.

d

So your car revs to 4k then drops to 3k then back upto 4k on wide open throttle?

This is whilst the car is stationery? Could be the Intake Manifold Runner Control, rather than a fuel problem. Do you have any engine warning lights or error codes stored in the DTC memory?

Hi Fahad,

Yes, it happened when the car was stationary, and *i think* it happened first when I was trying to overtake a nutjob doing his sunday driving.

I don't have any warning lights and I will check the error codes tomorrow when I get a chance to see if there is anything stored...

This intake manifold runner control - is it an electronic or mechanical part? Do you think it needs cleaning or something?

Although you don't have any warning lights now, when it happened did you notice if the glow plug light flashed at all?

If it did it whilst driving i would say its probably your clutch slipping.. but if it's doing it whilst stationary then it might be a clogged fuel filter. Reading your post again, I doubt it's the IMRC as first suggested.

When was the fuel filter last done and was it a genuine part?

Hi
There were no warning lights whatsover. The fuel filter was a genuine Honda part and done 400 miles ago...

I suppose I might take it back into Honda and get them to replace the fuel filter again...

Ah, actually then it's most likely the filter. It probably wasn't bled properly and what you experienced was an air lock.

Has it happened again?

Hi,

No it hasn't happened actually and i've tried driving like a maniac round the roads of Alum Rock - the car is smooth as butter again...

Do you think it's worth getting Honda to look at the filter?

Ta

Hi,

No it hasn't happened actually and i've tried driving like a maniac round the roads of Alum Rock - the car is smooth as butter again...

Do you think it's worth getting Honda to look at the filter?

Ta

if they will look at it for free then yes.

I have noticed that my mpg has dropped through the floor though...

It's gone from around 34 to about 17 within the last week... Driving style hasnt changed from my usual heavy foot...

Get the Fuel Filter bled first. Could be dodgy Injector?

I have noticed that my mpg has dropped through the floor though...

It's gone from around 34 to about 17 within the last week... Driving style hasnt changed from my usual heavy foot...

Darcus,

What are the revs like, when just idling i.e are they steady or a bit up and down ?

Is there much smoke kicked out when your accelerating, i.e like there is a rain cloud behind you ?

Do you know when the air filter was last changed?

From the first post looks like you have had some issues or are trying to clean the engine up, presumably previous owner maintenance a bit of an issue.

***uming the air filter is recent

A couple of area's you could look at are:

Cleaning the EGR and passageways, with the poor consumption I would definitely look at firstly cleaning the MAF sensor, but given the mileage it maybe even better to replace it. there are DIY's on here showing you how to do this and they are relatively simple to do.

As Fahad mentioned earlier, it is worth checking the IMRC valve is working and not sticking, there is another issue with the solenoid that controls the valve, which can cause hesitation, but unless you get clearer symptoms it is probably either air in the fuel system from the filter change or a dirty/worn MAF sensor, incidentally I would also check that a genuine Honda fuel filter, Bosch on the Pre-facelift has been used, if not change it again for genuine Honda and save the hassle of problems for the future.

Hi
1. The revs are stable, the engine is quiet.
2. I'm just trying to clean the engine up as the last service hadnt been done for about 20k miles...i ***UME that oil changes were done but there were no records...
3. The air filter was also changed 400 miles ago.
4. I will do a search for the MAF sensor cleaning.
5. How do I go about checking if the IMRC valve is working and not sticking? The OBD is not throwing up any codes.
6. I took it into Honda to get the last service done and specified that the fuel filter needed changing along with gear box and diff fluids - even though they weren't scheduled.

Time to spend some money methinks!
Thanks for your help.

Hi
1. The revs are stable, the engine is quiet.
2. I'm just trying to clean the engine up as the last service hadnt been done for about 20k miles...i ***UME that oil changes were done but there were no records...
3. The air filter was also changed 400 miles ago.
4. I will do a search for the MAF sensor cleaning.
5. How do I go about checking if the IMRC valve is working and not sticking? The OBD is not throwing up any codes.
6. I took it into Honda to get the last service done and specified that the fuel filter needed changing along with gear box and diff fluids - even though they weren't scheduled.

Time to spend some money methinks!
Thanks for your help.

Heres a link for the MAF Sensor cleaning, pretty sure it is the same setup on the pre-facelift.

MAF Cleaning

Further down in the DIY you will see the IMRC valve, basically you should see a rod near the flying saucer bit, this controls the gate inside you just need to check that it moves freely. You don't necessarily need to remove the valve, unless you want to clean it, which may infact give you an indication of the possible state of the EGR.

here is a link to a DIY on cleaning the EGR and IMRC on the pre-faclift.

cleaning EGR pre-facelift

In the first picture indicated by arrow B you will see a spring that is connected to the rod mentioned above.

Good Luck :)

Thank you for your help. Everything seems fine. Just been to Honda and got a new fuel filter, this time I'm going to watch the mechanic putting it in to make sure it's an original. The one in the car says bosch on it, but it looks a little different to what I've got in my hand.

Once i've done this, I think its time to clean out the pipes so to speak and sort out the EGR and IMRC valves. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them, but looking at all the pictures of what people have got inside their valves, makes me wonder if the 104k on mine needs doing!

Out of interest, is there anyone in Birmingham who can do this for me? Need someone I can trust to get the job done right. I could do it myself, but I'm such a slow coach when it comes to these things that it will probably take me a day to clean the EGR...always worried that I might do the wrong thing!

Cheers again for your help peeps.
d