What's new

Just bought my car....but hate the tyres!

Adski

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 Accord Type S
Hi all,

Firstly, I'm made up that I've found this forum! I went looking in all these obscure places for one and after little success, tried "Honda Accord forums" in Google and here I am!!!

Anyway, I've just bought a 2006 2.4 Type-S which I'm very happy with but the only issue is the tyres which are very very noisy! The problem is, they're brand new (but very cheap) that the dealer put on after I bought the car, presumably to pass the MOT so I'm finding it hard to justify spending the dosh on some new ones.

Hypothetically speaking however, if I were to look at new ones, what would the best recommendations be? I've always had Bridgestones or Michelin's in the past which have done me proud but at £120 a corner for the latter, I'm wondering if there are any better tyres for that kind of money? What are people's experiences? I don't really care about wear rates but grip (and now noise!) are my main concern!!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Adam

welcome to the site,
i ***ume its on 17's?
i put 4 toyo proxes 225 / 45 / 17 ( i think )
on, ordered from tyre express for 80 quid a corner.
have a look round online and check reviews. im sure theres
another thread on here somewhere that goes ' i hate buying tyres'
or something similar

Adam do a search there are a couple of treads all about tyers sorry on mobile so can't post the link

Welcome to TA - there is a lot of talk on tyres here and everyone has differing views. I like Mich PS3's.

welcome mate, i agree with dan mich ps3 are really good

Hi all,

Firstly, I'm made up that I've found this forum! I went looking in all these obscure places for one and after little success, tried "Honda Accord forums" in Google and here I am!!!

Anyway, I've just bought a 2006 2.4 Type-S which I'm very happy with but the only issue is the tyres which are very very noisy! The problem is, they're brand new (but very cheap) that the dealer put on after I bought the car, presumably to pass the MOT so I'm finding it hard to justify spending the dosh on some new ones.

Hypothetically speaking however, if I were to look at new ones, what would the best recommendations be? I've always had Bridgestones or Michelin's in the past which have done me proud but at £120 a corner for the latter, I'm wondering if there are any better tyres for that kind of money? What are people's experiences? I don't really care about wear rates but grip (and now noise!) are my main concern!!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Adam

Welcome to the forum Adam

I'm sure you will plenty of very helpful advice here - I have :) Good choice on a Type S B)

As for the tyre issue and i'm sure others will agree rubber is down to personal preference. I run Pirelli PZERO ROSSO's on my 17" Penta rims. I have no complaints of them - they handle well in both wet and dry, but my local roads are so bad they don't do much for the wear rate :( I have tried the newer PZERO too and was very impressed with the grip levels both wet & dry, however the wear rate was very poor - they lasted just over 5K. I was ***ured by Pirelli that they weren't faulty but i'm not convinced, whether the bad roads played a part I don't know. :unsure:

At the end of the day I don't think it is worth buying cheap rubber if you are going to have some fun with your car - it's the tyres that keep you in contact with the tarmac. If you shop about I sure you find some good deals on mid range & premium brands. If you decide to change the rubber immediately, I'm sure you'll find a buyer.

Simon

Welcome to the forum.

I've had my car for just over a month now, and my one and only complaint is the level of road noise.

However I also had fairly new tyres on the front and i'm sure as they have worn the noise level has decreased a bit. Might be worth hanging on for a while.

Also make sure the tyre pressures are correct, and it may be worth adding a couple of psi to see if it makes any difference.

HOW TO JUSTIFTY

If it only has 16" wheels or 17" wheels (but not the five spoke). Search and second hand set of the 5 spoke wheels with decent tyres. Then sell on the original set of alloys to make the money back emphasing the life left in the tyres you are selling.

I run 17" 225/45 Khumo's KU31s on the back KH somethings on the front. But got the supplied and fitted in pairs for about £200.

Thanks to you all for the warm welcome and the helpful replies!

I will do a full search a bit later and look at the other tyre threads. Unfortunately, I do have the 17 inch wheels....what makes it worse is that they're exactly the same size as the ones on the car I just got rid of which had 4 brand new Mich's on!

I went to Costco the other day who said that I'd be better off putting Michelin Sport PS3s on which for that size come out at 118 quid each which is a bit steep but you haven't heard the noise!!!

I'll keep you all in the loop anyway. Thanks again for all your helpful replies,

Adam

another vote for the toyo's.
i got my Type S about 6 weeks ago,fitted with the 17in pentas.
it has 2 new 225/45 fitted to the front.
1 toyo and 1 billy no brand on the rear.
just about to replace the rears with toyo's which i have used often on past cars.
favourite tyre for me is goodyear formula 1's but the cost does not justify the difference
between them and toyo's,imho. Paul.