What's new

Just changed steering rack...but!

DJSR

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2i CTDI
Hi all,

I was getting this knocking sound from behind the foot pedals, especially behind the brake pedal which slowly started to get worse. I checked the net for similar symptoms and many people changed the ball joints and the sound disappeared. So I took it to my local garage, and changed both ball joints, noise still there, then the mechanic had a proper look and said its definitely the steering rack.

So he changed the rack for me, noise gone ! Took the car out the garage, still slight pull to left, which i've always had since i bought the car, so did the tracking with hunter machine, front left wheel was off, the rest were fine, so they tracked it, drove out the tracking place, still pulled to the left.

Anyway, after driving the car for a few days after getting the steering rack replaced, I drove round a round about and as i turned half way to the right on the steering and held, i started to get this constant judder to the left, so i had to keep holding or pulling to he right to stop the car from going left. The steering was constantly trying to pull left and juddering, very strange.

I went back to the mechanic, and he thinks it isnt the steering rack. He also changed the power steering fluid to a softer mixture and that helped a little. Some people i have asked have said possible loose steering belt or losing pressure from somewhere. I'm also losing speed when i turn left or right, its like the car pulls back. When i turn left it pulls a little to the right as i'm turning, but not as much as when i turn right.

Any idea's would be appreciated.

Cheers.

My advice. Get it diagnoised properly. Your mechanic seems to be changing parts on hunches.

Get a proper inspection and go from there.

Sorted the problem, he didnt use honda power steering fluid. Got another problem now, car is jerking when i change gear and accelerate, like a misfiring. Took it to Honda, no fault codes on the computer diagnostic, they said possibly flywheel or hole in exhaust manifold, but when then checked around the exhaust, no sign of a hole, but would need to check in the manifold, removing all heat panels.