What's new

Just installed HID kit, small issue...

PointMan

Members
Reaction score
Car
ATS CL9
Hi guys,

I just installed a 5000k 55w slim AC HID kit on my 2007 Tourer.

I installed the kit within the headlight itself, behind the cover. Worked like a charm. I put double sided tape on the ballast and pressed it against the bottom. After that I installed the lamp and connected all the wires and placed the wires next to the lamp. A little fiddely but manageable...

After I finished the left side I connected the battery and switched on the low beams, right away I heard a hissing sound from the ballast, but after a few seconds it disappeared.

The light was working so I turned off the car and disconnected the battery and continued with installing the right side.

When I connected the battery and switched on the low beam after finishing both sides, only the right side was working. Turned on the car, both sides started but the left side flickered for a second and then "became stable".

I took the car for a test drive for 10 minutes without any issues and then parked the car and turned it off. Turned it on right away and both sides started right away.

What do you guys think, is the left side ballast malfunctioning?

I installed this kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xenon-HID-Light-Kit-AC-Slim-Ballast-H1-5000K-55W-12V-/170742384007

Voilá:
large_272592-2718271.jpg

I fit at least one HID kits a week and you should have gone for the DC ballasts, they work a lot better on the Accord and are much more stable, to be honest, I run 55W can bus ballasts, yes the accord doesn't have can bus error warning lights, but most of my customers have can bus german cars so I stock can bus error kit and even these work much better in the accord, more or less instant start up and no noise from ballasts and they dont dim or flicker or anything at all... yeh they are a little bit more money and you may think they are unnecessary, but one of my suppliers has shown me the differences in build quality ballasts, also H1 bulbs now can be bought with metal bases which again are better and safer... but thats another topic lol

mate I had this on mine too, sometimes it would strike sometimes not, turns out it was a faulty ballast in my case, and probably fro you too. Only way to be sure is to swap them [the ballasts] over I'm afraid....

I fit at least one HID kits a week and you should have gone for the DC ballasts, they work a lot better on the Accord and are much more stable, to be honest, I run 55W can bus ballasts, yes the accord doesn't have can bus error warning lights, but most of my customers have can bus german cars so I stock can bus error kit and even these work much better in the accord, more or less instant start up and no noise from ballasts and they dont dim or flicker or anything at all... yeh they are a little bit more money and you may think they are unnecessary, but one of my suppliers has shown me the differences in build quality ballasts, also H1 bulbs now can be bought with metal bases which again are better and safer... but thats another topic lol

Really? All the info I read before buying a kit with an AC ballast was about how bad a DC ballast were compared to AC. Why does a DC ballast work better with the Accord?

BTW, where do you place the ballast when you install the kit on an Accord?

mate I had this on mine too, sometimes it would strike sometimes not, turns out it was a faulty ballast in my case, and probably fro you too. Only way to be sure is to swap them [the ballasts] over I'm afraid....

Ah nuts. But not sure if it is a faulty ballast because when I started the car cold this morning, none of the sides worked directly. When I turn the key to the "second stage" (what's it called in english?) on my car the low beams turns on automatically, togheter with radio etc. When I then turn the key the last bit to start the engine, the lights, radio etc. turns off and then turns on again right away.

I wonder if that is causing the safety measure built into the ballast (if there is such a thing) to shut them down when they loose power for a second?

Because both started when I changed to parking lights and then back again.¨
¨
Hard to explain, hope you understand what I am trying to explain. :)