What's new

K20 Head

vtistu

Members
Reaction score
Car
CL9
I keep hearing about 'slipping on' a K20 head.

After owning b16, K20 and F20 the K24 is a bit of a dull vtec, yes I love the torque, yes it is a luxury car etc but I miss that vtec bang, changing gear and still being in vtec.

I'm struggling to find any information which is useful about a K20 head, my favourite quote after talking to someone was 'yes mate, slip a K20 head on,instant 300 bhp'

Now I highly doubt this, and I know a lot do the conversion for big horsepower builds.

But what is the reality.....

Can anyone help, advise ??

From what ive read the K20's head,cams & valvetrain setup is more designed for 8k+ where the k24 is geared up a good low and mid end punch for that out the factory im sure the k20 head flows better, Remember what application the k24 was designed for the characteristics of the engine are completely different

Engine characteristics.

The K24 is a long stroke engine. Naturally aspirated the engine's peak torque is around 6000 rpm falling off rapidly on the way to the redline. From about 6500 rpm up the power curve is fairly flat as a result. At 7500 rpm the piston speeds are about the same as that of a K20 at 8500 rpm, while trying to ingest about 15% more air through a head with similar airflow to a Type S. This means that the naturally aspirated K24 engine is difficult to get high RPM power from. Forced induction provides an excellent fix for this problem.

I hope the piston speed puts its into context when you start giving the engine some revs

Here should give you a starting ground on what basic breathing mods to k24.
http://www.hondata.com/tuning_k24a2_tsx_engine.html

But you can't just slap a head on and expect massive gains without all the right components and tuning necessary.

Any engine is tunable at the end of the day depends on how deep your pockets are, i've seen on youtube a n/a accord UK put 260bhp out on basic bolt on mods, TDI North managed I think 300 with some internals and even more turbo'd world is your oyster.

Hope this points you more in the direction.

I dont think you get much of a bang from any of the K series engines IMHO. Im coming from a b18c right enough! The vtec in a K20 type ep3 or dc5 didn't impress me at all. A remap will help give you a better vtec window though so you wont drop off vtec when changing gear!

Check out icetronix. http://www.icetronix.com/honda-engine-conversions-dublin-ireland/k-series

Heres a list of parts and prices etc for the rebuild http://icetronixcatalog.com/index.aspx?page=product&id=3727

I think they may be doing something else soon with a K24.
"We are doing one of these engine builds very soon!! Not in a Jazz but in an Integra DC5. It will be a K24 block with K20 head , fully built with big cams , injectors and mapping!! This will be a very fast DC5 N/A road car.Hopefully it will sound as nice as the Jazz :) "

Check out their facebook page to see their Frankenstein Jazz in action

I follow Icetronix on Facebook. My parents have a Jazz and I love it and always wanted one with a K20, and then they go and do one and slap a supercharger on it.

I met Kane who has NA 260bhp. Very impressive with his DC5 gearbox too. But he's spent some serious time and money into that thing.

Just the TSX ECU with remap is going to cost £1000.