What's new

K24a3 6-speed manual - what flywheel?

Type-S

Members
Reaction score
Car
2003 Type-S 2.4
Hi - apols for jumping straight in with a tech question, but it's bugging me....

My 2003 Type-S has the 2.4l K24a3 engine and the 6 speed manual gearbox - can anyone here tell me if Honda fitted this engine and gearbox combo with a dual mass flywheel?

I'm on 120k miles now and just starting to get suggestion of slippage 3-4 when heavy on the throttle. When the time comes for new clutch, I would like to fit the Exedy lightweight flywheel - but recall there being a post on the old THAOC forum that said that the 2.4 had a DMF. Maybe my memory failing me but want to be sure.

Thankyou in advance.

hi welcome along

I maybe wrong here but i thought DMF were only fitted to diesels that said there is firms that can supply kits for diesels to remove the DMF and fit a standard flywheel so IF yours is DMF then theres no reason why not to convert it and fit a lightened one or what ever takes your fancy

Dave can I ask why you think Exedy lightweight flywheel would benefit your car if you could find one for the 2.4?

You can... old school I'm afraid - cut my teeth modding what people now call 'classic cars'! - last proper one was a full sprint spec Triumph TR6 - about 170Hp which was lots then, lightened or removed as much as possible and along with the engine mods had an ultra light flywheel and I loved it - made a huge difference to responsiveness of the motor. Theory I believe is that lower rotating mass means engine can spin up faster and uses less power to turn the thing. I'm interested in any alternative opinions - especially ones that might save me making an expensive mistake :(

BTW, can definitely find one listed but only for the Acura TSX with the K24... hence my concern as to whether the EDM/JDM spec cars have DMF..
Dave

Well reasoned arguments! - was't aware that the stock flywheels warp easily and hadn't considered the potential to damage crankshaft thrust bearings. So perhaps standard fly and uprated clutch/pressure plate?

Still be interested to know if it's a DMF - hope not, they are £££ when they go!

Dave