What's new

Keep getting PI SEEK on some preset radio stations

hitman

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer i-CTDi
Hi All,

For quite a while now I keep getting "PI Seek" on the Accord radio (Sat Nav version) when selecting some of my preset FM stations. After the radio has finished "PI SEEK"ing (a few seconds) the radio station plays fine, except Captial FM (in London). Googling around seems to indicate that PI Seek is an RDS function that scans the frequencies looking for another signal broadcasting the same program. The most annoying part of this is that selecting the Captial FM preset (at 95.8) after PI Seek, the radio gets tuned to Heart! Tuning manually doesn't trigger the PI Seek.

I have tried resetting the preset but it does the same. Other presets run through the PI Seek but then at least return to the correct radio station. In London this happens for Radio 1, LBC 97.3 and BBC London 94.9. Radio 4 on a preset doesn't seem to trigger the PI Seek.

I have tried switching off traffic announcements (TA) but to no avail.

There must be a way to turn off "PI Seek" but I can't seem to find it.

I have come across some interesting features of the radio. If I hold down the TA button it shows the PTY (Program Type, such as News, Pop Music, Varied) for the radio station. Whilst the PTY is displayed pressing the seek button will scan to the next station of the same PTY. Pretty nifty, but still doesn't resolve my issue.

I also found that with the radio on holding down the Volume knob for a few seconds activates "News". At the time this didn't do anything apart from flash up News in the display just near the TA/TP indication. However, a bit of research this evening seems to indicate that this is another RDS feature that automatically switches the radio to a News program when a News broadcast begins. I might test that out tomorrow. But again, even with this on/off my PI Seek issue still exists.

Is there anyone else out there with this same issue or knowledge of how to disable PI Seek?

"P(rogram) I(nformation) Seek" is basically the same as the TA function you've talked about. The PI data contains, amongst other things, the PTY descriptor. So somehow yoyr Radio is deciding the signal for Capital is to weak, so it looks (does a PI Seek) for the nearest station transmitting the same PI as Capital and finds Heart.
I can't remember where all the settings offhand, but you need to be looking on the Config menu to alter anything to do with RDS that looks a bit suspect, Regional/Local/Auto, TA, any Auto settings etc etc.

Hope this helps - It's late and I've had a few lol.