What's new

Key Upgrades

Blanco808

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type-S
Looking for a little advice from someone who may have done this. I'm upgrading one of my keys to the flip style. I have transferred the remote buttons to the new shell and all fits and operates perfectly (remote locking). The query I have is concerns pairing the key with the ignition. I know that for many cars as long as you have one spare key you can pair additional ones yourself (following various steps) once they have been cut. Can anyone tell me if the same applies to the accord or is it true that a chip cycles the ignition codes? I have been told by a few domestic key cutting places that Honda need to code the key to the barrel. I have also been told by Honda that they can do this for £40+vat which I dont mind paying, but would rather do it myself if its possible. Can anyone shed any light or advice on this ?

photo1-1.jpg

Everything you need to transfer is in the little box you have transferred in to the new flip key including the immobiliser chip. All you need to do now is get it cut and you are good to go.

But for god sake take it to a auto locksmith to get it cut and not Timpsons or anywhere like that.

i had my key cut at Timpsons and they couldn't do it and after 4 attempts it completely screwed my ignition barrel which cost £1400 and was a week wait from Japan. It gets extremely annoying starting your pride and joy with a hacksaw blade and a key pressed against the barrel for 7 days. Which is as you can imagine extremely hit and miss. To there credit Timpsons picked up the bill but Christ was it a pain in the rear.

Take my advice and use a bone fide auto locksmith to cut the blade.

Cheers for the clarification Neil. I had read over your previous posts regarding keys and saw you had a nightmare with that. My initial thought was that the little clear plastic block you can still see in the original case was the chip as well as concerns over the replacement blades quality and ability get this style cut. Thanks again for the advice.