What's new

Keyless entry reciever

Albert_T_Cone

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 i-CDTi
Hi Folks,

I have a problem with the keyfob on my '05 Accord, which the local Honda garage have diagnosed as being due to a faulty keyless entry receiver. I'm wondering if it's a DIYable job to replace? The dealer has quoted ~£230 to replace the receiver, so it's not the end of the world if not, but I'd rather keep the pennies in MY piggy bank...

I really have two questions:
1) Where is the receiver located? My mad google skills have failed me here - I haven't been able to find anything about this for the Accord. In the '02 civic, it seems that it's located behind the centre console. Anyone know if it's in the same location on the Accord?
2) Is it simply a plug&play replacement, or does it need to be programmed in some way to the car? If I find a suitable accord in a scrappy or a part on eBay, can I just swap it over and expect it to work or am I going to end up taking it to the dealer anyway?

I have a slight luxury of time here - the dealer reckons that it'll be mid-march (i.e. another 2 months!) before they can get hold of a replacement unit, and until then I have to live with the alarm sounding whenever I open a door, or I find my own solution.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Albert

If it's a standard 7th gen then I presume you mean that the remote button on the keyfob won't open the locks, but the key does (and the alarm then goes off).

It might be the keyfob, how did the dealer come to think it was not the keyfob ? (don't trust that dealers are correct)

Also, if you can stop the alarm, then in the meantime you can lock and unlock with the key.

Can you explain the problem you are having as i have never heard of a receiver becoming faulty on the Accord. Hence your google search drawing a blank.

Have you tried the simple stuff like changing the keyfob battery.

If it's a standard 7th gen then I presume you mean that the remote button on the keyfob won't open the locks, but the key does (and the alarm then goes off).

It might be the keyfob, how did the dealer come to think it was not the keyfob ? (don't trust that dealers are correct)

Also, if you can stop the alarm, then in the meantime you can lock and unlock with the key.

Thanks for the reply.

Both keyfobs stopped working at the same time, making it seem unlikely that it's a keyfob problem. I have confirmed that both are producing an RF carrier signal when you press buttons (although I have no idea if they are transmitting a valid coded signal).

The standard keyfob resynch procedure (turn ignition on, press lock/unlock, ign off, repeat x 3) doesn't get you into programming mode, and the dealer reckons that when they tested it, the receiver wasn't producing any response to the keyfob, so it does sound like a likely candidate.

Can you explain the problem you are having as i have never heard of a receiver becoming faulty on the Accord. Hence your google search drawing a blank.

Have you tried the simple stuff like changing the keyfob battery.

I did change the keyfob battery - at first that was what I ***umed the problem to be.
The problem is that the car doesn't respond to either key-fob (both stopped working at the same time), so I can't disable the alarm (although I can open the door manually and start the engine.)
The standard keyfob-resync procedure doesn't work - the car doesn't enter key programming mode.

The dealer diagnosed the problem as being that the keyless entry receiver isn't picking up the transmitted signal from the 'fob, which sounds plausible, especially since nothing (door control module etc.) else is throwing up an errorcode.

Cheers

Pretty convincing diagnosis there.

If you go to the Lings Honda website, you can find the exploded views, start here
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_catalogue_C01.php

Not sure where the receiver is, here are a couple of views of possible componenent areas from the 2.4 petrol (the diesel will be similar, start from the above link)
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SED01&block_02=B__1101&block_03=445
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SED01&block_02=B__1311&block_03=445

I'm glad I've found this thread because I have exactly the same issue right now. I used the car on Saturday night, no problem. Went to unlock with the fob on Monday morning, and nothing! The light on the fob works, but the doors won't unlock. Of course, if I use the key the alarm goes off, so not a sociable problem to fix with the neighbors! I've not checked the fuses yet, so that's the best place to start, but I'm pretty convinced it's the receiver that's faulty.