What's new

Knock felt throught steering wheel

Shiresy

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Accord Tourer
hello
I have this knock that I feel throught the steering wheel, now this only occurs when pulling away and after I have braked so the suspension has compressed, also it is more noticeable when there is a passenger in the front, I have shook the steering wheel and there is no play whatsoever I have sat and gone lock to lock on the steering and again no noise, I have also rocked the wheel quite hard with the engine off and again nothing felt, so far I have changed all the lower arm bushes the lower ball joints and the drop links as the car was knocking like a 10 piece band which all has gone apart from this clunk I get through the steering, if I pull away very carefully from a complete stop it does not do it it also is felt when changing from 1st to 2nd gear, could I be on the right track here in thinking that it is possibly the upper arm joints that are worn or maybe even a strut top mount, the problem here is finding which it is or maybe it's both .
Any help is welcomed

Might be your inner drive shaft worn.
At 70 mph does the car shake at all

Shiresy said:
No Brett the car is smooth as silk no shakes or vibrations
That's good that will probably rule out your driveshaft

I had exactly the same problem recently, changed the steering rack, noise gone! get your mechanic to have a proper check. Rack was pricey though, £200 not inc. labour.

Thanks for that Serg I have just seen your other post about the rack change, the knock I get is actually on the wheel no one else in the car can feel it only me also if I pull off very gradually it feels more like a creak if you know what I mean, if I sit playing with the clutch a bit I can make it clunk or I can make it feel more like a creak, this is so hard to describe if you have ever experienced the clutch pedal creak imagine that but feeling it through the steering wheel, it's more like something is moving slightly which is why I suspect maybe the upper arm joints and bushings or a strut top mount, this is purely because I had a similar thing on a mondeo I had previously and my mechanic even pulled the car down and said he was 95% sure it was the steering rack so I asked him to change the top mount just to see if my theory was right and after he changed it he was baffled as the noise was completely gone, I have a service coming up soon and have recently changed my mechanic so I will get him to have a good look around and see what's going on.