What's new

Knock when braking?

Wilderman

Members
Reaction score
Car
Gen7 Vtec sport
Had this issue since buying the car in March and it had only just been MOT'd so I ***ume it cant be anything too serious, but it is very annoying so im determined to get it sorted soon. When braking at low speeds (i.e. parking) I get a knock from under the car, it sounds like some one gives it a whack with a small hammer. I get it reversing as well and occasionaly it comes from one side then immediatley the other so i get 2 knocks. When I had some tyres fitted I asked the guy doing it to have a look for any culprits particularly the ARB's but he said they all looked ok. I have a Honda dealer round the corner from me so im thinking of taking it there but I dont want to pay their shocking rates for them to go through a process of elimination at my expense :huh: So has any one had this problem and if so could they pleeeeease let me know what it was?

Get the car on the ramp and check your exhaust system.
You might have lost a rubber on a bracket or the heat sheild might be loose.
It might be something else but worth checking this 1st as it won't cost much.

I would change rear stabilizer bushes as this part mostly cause that knocking sound, oem bushes from honda dealer costs £6 each so even cheaper then on ebay , if it won't help then it may by arb links.

My rear drop link used to knock, now I replaced it with OEM honda one and hopefully I wont hear it again...It sounds exactly as you describe it. Dan

Never considered the rear bushes as im sure it was coming from the front but will have a look along with the exhaust. Thanks chaps!

Hey mate, where in hampshire are you ? would you like a second pair of eyes ?

Paul

Finaly got to have a look at the rear bushes today and whilst there was nothing obvious, I was able move the arb a fair bit by hand. Is this normal?
Think I might get some drop links and see what happens. Thanks for the offer Paul, I might yet call on you if I get stuck. Im in brockenhurst so not too far away.