What's new

knocking noise

powellste

Members
Reaction score
Car
56AccordSport i-CTDI
Hello,

My Accord 2.2 diesel has an intermittent knocking noise coming from the belt area sounds like near the bottom of the engine.

Car runs fine with no engine problems or loss of power, everything works including ac. Yesterday the noise was not present this morning it's back, been around it with a screwdriver listening, not the power steering pump, alternator sounds fine, timing belt housing sounds fine. Ac compressor difficult to listen to but sounds fine. Removed small liner in the wheel arch sound is defiantly coming from somewhere down at the expensive end?!

Thought perhaps spun a bearing or timing chain but would this be intermittent? Playing around earlier the sound seemed to change turning the ac on and off. Proving quite hard to track down, especially as now it's gone quiet again.

Honda Accord 2007 tapping noise: http://youtu.be/dSZDqmYwdbM

Any ideas or tips on what/how to investigate? If it was the chain or a big end would this be intermittent?

Cars just clocked 150k.

Thanks

Steve

Also check crankshaft pulley, I've just replaced it and the sound was quite similar. If it wobbles and/or you can move it sideways by hand, it's a goner.

Thanks will check that out. Changed the oil this weekend for some 0-30 made no difference to the noise at all.

Strange the noise completly goes if a large eletrical load is turned on like full beam or demister. Guess next will have to take off the aux belt and investigate further.

Thanks steve.

If you do not have the short belt option suggest you do that while your at it, Mine was making all sorts of noise, I replaced the alternator and the belt run much quieter now.

Hi guys, i have absolutely same problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_bzrtxDi-s
did you have any results ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8uKFtNpfYw

This was my crankshaft pulley. Now imagine it spinning at high speed and you'll get pretty much the same noise. Your's might not be as bad as mine, but it's worth taking a closer look at it.

thanks, so i think about this pulley. It will be hard to take off ? any speacial tools or something ? and how about cost ? and Tere of course xD

Tere-tere Roman.

Correct way would be using special crankshaft pulley wrench and/or impact wrench. My mechanic did it by drilling a small hole to flywheel case so he could hold the flywheel in place to keep the crankshaft from turning around when undoing the pulley bolt.

Thanks for all the replys, turned out to be the crankshaft pulley. It actually completely failed and caused the pulley to rub against the engine casing. Smoke sparks and all. Luckily no damage. Got a repalcement part of eBay old one was very broken!

How to Remove the Crank Shaft Pulley Bolt on a Ho…:

http://youtu.be/7CridrQKj3E

For anyone looking at doing this themselves.

Cant find the thread but im sure it was recomended on here to wedge a breaker bar against the subframe and turn the engine over ?? The power of the starter motor loosens the nut ...... Wheres jon G these days ?

steve said:
Thanks for all the replys, turned out to be the crankshaft pulley. It actually completely failed and caused the pulley to rub against the engine casing. Smoke sparks and all. Luckily no damage. Got a repalcement part of eBay old one was very broken!
How did you find out it is faulty? Did you remove the belt first before check the pulley?

If it's already knocking, you should be able to move it sideways (without belt even rotate) by hand since the rubber damper from pulley is gone. See the video I posted earlier and you'll get the point.
It also wobbled quite hard when the engine was running.

matsalka said:
If it's already knocking, you should be able to move it sideways (without belt even rotate) by hand since the rubber damper from pulley is gone. See the video I posted earlier and you'll get the point.
It also wobbled quite hard when the engine was running.
I watched the video...
I've got a noise when hearing from under driver side wing and around pulleys from the engine bay. I changed the belt (with shorter and removed small pulley). I thought the noise is from any pulley but when I started the engine without belt, the noise was the same. At that time I didn't know about crankshaft pulley problem and didn't check it. It is not wobbling/knocking, strange sound hard to describe.
I don't know what are the symptoms of worn chain or chain tensioner? The car is 80K miles on the clock but when I bought it 3 weeks ago, I noticed the oil probably been not changed for very long time (was extremely black...)
How to test the timing chain? What revs worn chain noise is more noticeable?

I was an offical dealer diagnostic, where i got a answer about this part, it was broken. So i changed it at offical dealer with big discount, he put a new crv crankshaft pulley, its the same as accord. It costs only 200 eur, with work, new part, new belt and diagnostic.

Hello, I didn't need to remove the belt as the pully disintegrated. Now I've replaced the bottom pully the belt jumps off the top power steering pully. I've put it back on it came back off. Any ideas what could be causing this? When the belts in the correct position it makes a squeaky noise, when a quarter off makes no noise and runs fine.

I obviously can't let this carry on can imagine what would happen if it came off!! Steve