What's new

Knocking sound and looseness in steering wheel!

fk134

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord EX I-CTDI
[SIZE=11.5pt]Hi Guys,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]I have a slight knock coming from the left side of my car, mainly on pot holes, I recently replaced the track rod end which seems to have reduced the noise a fair bit but there is still a slight knock. The rear of my car used to make a lot of noise and replacing the ARB bushes cured this, I was wondering is it worth replacing the front ARB bushes? I can’t feel any play in the bar as I did with the rear but I’m thinking that with the weight of the car I wouldn’t really be able to shift the ARB to replicate going over pot holes! One thing I did notice was the wishbone mount appeared to have some cracks appearing, however, I had this checked and was told there was very slight play which wouldn’t result in any knocking. Any suggestions? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]I replaced the track rod myself but with basic tools, I didn’t use a torque wrench (have previously read it needs to be tightened to a specific torque) how necessary is this? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]I would also like to mention that the steering feels a little loose especially when moving off as I get the biting point, it’s like a subtle knock which I feel in the steering wheel, this is also apparent when shifting down gears. The steering also rocks around a fair bit when going over speed bumps and uneven roads. Is it possible this could be a loose anti roll bar? Would I feel this in the steering? The strange thing is when I switch the car on/off I also feel this subtle knock/looseness in the steering as the engine cranks which makes me think it could be something other than the ARB, possibly flywheel? I have had engine mounts checked which all seem ok. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]Apologies if the above is a bit confusing but would appreciate any help or advice. If anyone knows a good mechanic in the Birmingham area that they would recommend then please advise.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]Thanks for reading.[/SIZE]

Mine used to knock when parking. You have to clean and grease the driveshaft to hub mating surface else they click. There's a Honda TSB about it somewhere, but there's a guide here:

http://hondakarma.com/threads/knocking-noise-from-the-wheel-area.106/live

The wandering will probably be a ball joint or an inner rack joint if you've already changed the track rod ends and the control arms are good.

Did you check the steering rack ends at the same time as you changed the track rod ends?

Thanks for your response, its not so much a click that I am experiencing and I think I am aware of what you are referring to as this is common on the Civics too.

Tbh I dont know a great deal about cars and the components and would not really know where the steering rack ends are located, I can have a look at some images on the net and take a look on the weekend, what should I be looking out for to determine whether this is causing the problem?

Is the inner rack joint something I can check myself?? All the mechanics in my area can't seem to find any issues with the car, they didn't even pick out the ARB bushes on the rear and almost made me change the rear drop links!!!

No wish to worry you but I had both Front ARB links broken on mine, Not found until MOT. gOT TO SAY IT DID IMPROVE A GREAT DEAL WHEN THEY WERE RENEWED. LOL

Thanks for the diagram, I did have a quick look at that once I had the track rod off, the boot seemed in good condition and movement felt ok too. Lets suppose this needed replacing, why would I feel the looseness in the steering wheel when switching car on/off?

I have been doing some digging around and have come across 'steering rack adjustment' which seems to have resolved another persons issue similar to the looseness I feel in the steering, has anyone had any experience of adjusting the steering rack and how easy is this to do?

I've read up on it, but it doesn't seem like something I want to play with. It's a case of trial and error, and the potential to make things worse rather than better is huge.

Having a loose rack end is the same as a loose track rod end. You get a clunk in the steering, and the car wanders.

My PAS also will knock when the car's off and has no fluid pressure.

I have given up with this, ill just drive the car and see if it gets any worse...thanks for your replies.

Foorqan did you ever get to the bottom of this as I am experiencing the same issue ? Seems to be a slight knock which I can feel through the steering column. I've had my front suspension parts checked, although most are new parts and no issues there. I'm swaying towards and issue with the steering column itself or possibly engine mounts ! Mechanic has advised me to let it develop, but i'm not good at doing things like that !!!!!

My money's on the steering rack itself. Do you guys get the steering wheel snatched out of your hands a bit going over rough surfaces?

does the steering feel light and then heavy at random? Also try parking the car and with the engine off turn the steering wheel back and forth a little. If you can feel/hear clunking noises then it's probably the steering rack itself that needs replacing. Had this happen on two cars my old 3 series with a standard hydro rack (like the accord 2.4/2.2 cdti) and ep3 type r with the eps electric rack.
Budget around 500 + quid for replacement at a garage as from memory on the accord the subframe has to drop and possibly the exhaust in order to wangle it out. The racks a pain due to being attached to the gearbox I think.

Yep, i am currently experiencing the same problem. I was told by a friend who is a mechanic that the 'Pinion' inside the steering rack moves/jumps about causing this sudden knock, which happens when you turn the steering wheel. I only just got back from Honda, who was investigating the issue and they said they couldnt fault the car. (Honda charge £1200 for a new rack no including labour (swear loudly!))

It was driving me mad a bit, as i like to have a knock free car, I recently changed the steering rack for a re-conditioned rack and the sound went away, but it has returned.

I would say just put up with it if you can until it gets worse, but I would keep an eye on the Power Steering fluid!

Just to add to this, I am still experiencing the same issues, I have replaced the front ARB links and the noise has reduced slightly, but I think the issue may be ball joints, lower and upper. I will be checking them in the next few weeks, if I get to the bottom of it then i'll leave an update.

I had knocking on the left side and it turned out to be the steering rack. I had mine reconditioned and put back in, no problems since. Suspension is a big problem on these cars, they are not made for the narrow streets and humps of a big city.

Yep could def be damper related, mine was terrible for knocking, poor steering feel, steering wheel knocked about over bumps. Problem was cured after I sold it and my friend )who bought it) changed an upper suspension arm and replaced the suspension completely for coilovers. Drives amazingly now

There's a Honda service bulletin about the shafts knocking when parking. You have to put a smear of moly grease on the face of the driveshaft that contacts the back of the hub else they'll click.

Everything else here can cause a knock too.

Mine has a tiny knock when parking that I think is rack related as everything's less than 20k miles old.
Drives tight, and straight as an arrow though, so I can live with it.

Also as mentioned above about a pulsing steering rack. Mine was horrendous when I bought it. Two fluid changes 10k apart, and it's perfect. The grot that's come out each time has been shocking, and it's meant to be a closed system?

The one from not having the driveshafts greased normally only shows up when parking.

My mechanic popping over tonight, will ask him to check driveshaft and get some grease/oil in there see if it helps, will post back. keep the updates coming as this is a very very common problem with the accord.

greased both driveshafts according to the diagrams, driveshafts were already greased with no sign of rust, and this made no difference to the knocking !

The accords suspension is a fairly complex setup making diagnostics a pain if something isn't visually worn. Good luck and keep us posted

Mine was like this when I got it just over a year ago, I got quite a sizeable clunk when driving off it was also there if I down shifted while slowing then accelerated, the steering felt a bit drifty too at crusing speed it was hard work at 70 mph, now before we get excited I have to point out that I do still have a slight and it is very slight knock which is hardly noticeable, now the good bit what did I do to almost stop it, well after I had changed all the lower control arm bushes the lower ball joints and the anti roll bar links with no effect on the noise I went on and changed both upper arms it was cheaper to get them complete and it made a huge difference to the noise and the handling so the next thing I did was to go further up and change the strut top mounts, if you go this route I have to advise that the top,mounts are in 2 pieces there's the collar with a large rubber insert then there's the small rubbers that go 1 above and 1 below the collar, this made a enormous difference, although not cheap but it could help, I got meyle arms at £55 for the pair and blueprint collars at £31 each the small rubbers were £15 each, sorry for the long waffle hope this helps