What's new

Leaky Injector, replacement options?

Update, I noticed a new noise in the car last month, that I couldn't pinpoint, until I was parked up next to a large brick wall, the sound reflection through the passenger window confirmed it was under the bonnet, though with the bonnet open and looking directly down, I couldn't hear it at all.

Taking off the engine cover revealed a second injector (#1) with carbon buildup around the groove in the engine cover. One bottle of coke later and I started making calls.

the local Honda dealer doesn't have spare department open on a weekend so I went to the local autofactors for a seal, but they couldn't pinpoint the right one from their records.

Based on the head honcho wealth of experience, he supplied me on sale or return a pack of ten generic copper seals, and they are the exact same as the Honda part in dimensions.

Part number on the pack is FOOVC17504 (the other label on the pack has the prefix RBL), Two hours after purchase I had the injector out, head and hole cleaned an the new seal in.

The car is now sounding as it did last year.

A quick update and request from expert.

The number 4 seal apppears to have failed - again - though I'm not going to get a chance to get under the bonnet until later, it could be the retaining allen bolt that has given up the ghost, I recall it being partially stripped last time.

Question - The Bosch copper washers I have here are a different contour top and bottom, one side is machined smooth and the other slightly rounded.
Is there a specific way round these should be installed , I believe I installed the last one with the flat side up against the injector but if this is wrong can someboody let me know ?

Thanks in advance.

And, same fault as last time. the copper has been eroded by the gases in the combustion chamber eventually creating a passage to the outside.

I must be improving, took just on an hour from start to finish, with the tools in the boot and an old sock to clean off the carbon.

Attachments

• 20210424_130855.jpg
    20210424_130855.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210424_125411.jpg
    20210424_125411.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210424_140216.jpg
    20210424_140216.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 6