What's new

Leather Peeling away

dave0922

Members
Reaction score
Car
99 Accord ES, F18B2
This has been bugging me ever since I bought my accord, its the only thing that I can fault on my car.

Basicaly, there seems to be a top coat of coloured laquer on my seats and it is peeling. Now, underneath the laquer (or what ever it is) is a lovelly bit of quality looking leather. What I am looking for is somthing that will help me get the top coating off, like a chemical or something. I can peel bits off and add leather nourishing cream and it looks superb afterwards, but to peel it all off by hand would take weeks.

Probably a long shot but has anyone ever seen this happen and/or knows how to sort it?

Sounds like natural wear & tear of the protective coating or your seats have had a poor prep before a re-paint (refurbishment) in the past? However, if your seat hasn't had any repairs I would get it repaired before the leather underneath starts to split or rip and the seats wading starts to poke out?

Post a picture if you can or email me buddy

Will get a piccy up tommorow. The leather underneath looks good. The stuff that is coming off is extremely thin and flakey, its almost as if it has been sprayed with some sort of rubbery skin or paint as it is a different shade underneath. I know that if I could get it all off, I will have lovelly looking seats afterwards.

Very Strange!

What colou leathers do you have?

My brother has the same problem on his Accord with tan leathers.
The black leathers in mine are in perfect condition.

We originally though it was due to the colour of the leathers or that the previous owners had painted over them.

Most cars have pigmented or protected/top coated and painted type leather even Rolls Royce’s and Bentleys do, which is similar to some leather sofas? So actually using leather creams on this type of leather protection will only clean it, rather than feed it as often the term is used. However, it actually courses the protective layer to soften and is more easily worn off. I own a 1999 accord with cream leather seats with one previous owner which had it from new and only ever used baby wipes on the seats and there is very little wear with 173k on the clock. However' my other 2002 accord with 108k, the seats are really warn on the drivers seat and the previous owner admitted he used autoglym. Therefore' I’ve stopped using creams and just used leather wipes and the wear hasn't got any worse and look much better. In-addition the black leather doesn’t seem too bad with the rejuvenating creams as the sun dries out the softened layer and it takes longer to wear it off.

Hope this makes sense and this is based on 6 accords with leather seats

Stu'

kinda lost me at the end lol ave got a 6th gen accord with the black leather seats and the drivers side bit has seen better days. what would you suggest i use on it, creams or leather wipes coz you seem to no your suff?

thanks

kinda lost me at the end lol ave got a 6th gen accord with the black leather seats and the drivers side bit has seen better days. what would you suggest i use on it, creams or leather wipes coz you seem to no your suff?

thanks

Hi Tin-Man, TYPE V is the oracle regarding the 6th Gen Accord. I met him last weekend and seen the tan leather interior he mentions and I'm not kidding, it could have come out of the factory last week. The condition of the leather was just perfect. I (mistakenly) used to use Auto Glyn as I didn't know the leather was 'coated'. Therefore, as advised by TYPE V, you need to only use leather wipes to keep your leather looking good. Some have a nice 'leathery' smell too.

cheers Bond :D
and thanks TYPE V the oracle ;)

i shal be using leather wipes from now on B)