What's new

like driving a jelly!

HON65

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord
Hi all,

I have a 2.0 Exec Auto, 2001, about 75000 miles.

I am getting frustrated with the steering of the car..and would appreciate some feedback from owners with the same vehicle.

this is what mine is like to drive...going down the M6 ( I commute daily ) car wanders and I am forever correcting the steering, it does have a tendency to pull left anyway..but it just doesn't seem to want to go straight ahead. It also doesn't want to self centre after making a turn, which probably accounts for the wandering. Even normal urban driving if you steer one way you then have to correct mid turn.

Now I am frustrated as I have looked at the following basic stuff,

tracking, tracked and then taken elsewhere for a second opinion and all is well ( I am told ).
tyres swapped from front to rear - same problem pull to left.
had a mechanic underneath checking all bushes, arms etc for wear
springs checked and not broken/fractured

I wondered about the pwr steering rack but it is difficult to swap the rack due to the cost without knowing 100% that is the issue..

so owners, how does your Exec handle, like a dream or like a jelly!!...

opinions/feedback appreciated... B)

Hi Mark in not sure about the 6th gen but the 7 gen mine included does tramline slightly on uneven roads.
When you swapped the tyres around was there any symptoms of uneven wear.

'02 2.0 exec here, can't say I have noticed any tram-lining or wandering on the motorway. I have noticed that it doesn't self centre as quickly as other cars after a turn which is usually down to caster, but I have no clue whether it was meant to be like that from the factory or if it needs adjusting. You may want to ask the garage you went to if they checked the caster angle of your front wheels and that they are equal on both sides. I know you said they checked the tracking, but depending on the garage or the technician they may have just checked camber and or toe in/out

hi mark and welcome to the forum.

i see your in staff. i know its a little drive but near london there is a garage called WIM (Wheels In Motion) they have a forum too. Tony who owns WIM and his staff are nothing short of amazing and will be able to get to the bottom of your issue very quickly.

it really would be worth the drive as they get people from france etc comming over for suspension setups.

Had no issues with my old 6th gen. The only thing that is similar is that when i put my foot down it did pull to the left, but only when accelerating as hard as the car would let me.

i know you said you've had the tracking checked what about the rest of the geometry? if something else is out that would give you odd steering

Thanks for the replies guy's..

me think's I will have to find someone local who is reliable to do 4 wheel alignment, anyone in Staffs/Cheshire up for the job??

:(

just looked at WIM forum.....thats how to do it properly!!

it's too far for me though, who does geo etc in the mids/staffs, thanks

Thanks for the replies guy's..

me think's I will have to find someone local who is reliable to do 4 wheel alignment, anyone in Staffs/Cheshire up for the job??

not just 4 wheel alignment I think its worth checking the KPI and Caster etc

Morning,

standard alloys and not lowered, I have put new tyres on the front yesterday and seems more stable, set of Maxxis for those interested.

They seem ok a bit more noisy than previous Pirelli's but hey ho on a budget....

Really need to get properly 4 wheel tracked, and then if it's not that the steering rack!!!